Hi guys I'm in Hungary and I just got married. Ttyl.
February 25, 2011 1:03 PM Subscribe
Help me figure out what I need to prepare for my trip around the world.
posted by jstarlee to travel & transportation around Hungary (16 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
I have saved up a small sum of disposable income and plan to travel around the world starting this summer (sometime around June or July). I need the hivemind to help me prepare for the trip and make sure I have everything (essential) I need. I plan to stay on the road for up to a full year and have a budget of $1000~1200 a month. I don't mind working part time to learn more about the local culture, but I don't want to work to sustain my trip.
- Airplane/train tickets. Since I'll be doing a lot of flying, how do I minimize the air fare? I am flexible and can wait/standby a few days anywhere. I'm trying to save money and headache, time is not really of essence here.
- Boarding. I plan to use Couchsurfer together with friends/relatives/friends' friends to reduce living cost.
- Passport & Visa. I plan to head to Alaska -> Japan/Korea -> SE Asia -> Europe -> Back to East Coast in September for a wedding. More traveling after that but route undecided yet (out of the country). Do I need to get Visa for any of these countries/regions? I initially planned to visit Russia and/or China but my brother convinced me to stay away (too dangerous compared to other countries). Would I need Visa for Russia/China if I change my mind?
- Health care/insurance and insurance for my belongings. I will be traveling with my camera and a couple lenses and I want to insure them in case they get stolen/damaged. I also don't want to solely rely on the healthcare of whatever country I happen to be visiting at the time. What recommendation do you have?
- What kind of clothing should I bring with me? I know I need to pack light. But since I'll be visiting regions of vastly different climate, what should I bring with me?
Any comments or suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks!