Don't touch the plumbing?

Why do vacant homes that are for sale often have tape over the plumbing fixtures? I assume it's to prevent use when the water is turned off?

Example, from the listing for a foreclosed home for sale.
posted by de void to Home & Garden (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

It's part of winterizing the house, which most insurance companies require to insure vacant houses.
posted by dpx.mfx at 9:22 AM on February 25, 2011

(the sticker between the sinks probably explains that).
posted by dpx.mfx at 9:23 AM on February 25, 2011

So could I take the presence of the taped fixtures to indicate that the home has been vacant for at least one winter season?
posted by de void at 12:20 PM on February 25, 2011

Well, not necessarily? We are vacating our house and have to have it winterized, even though we won't be vacating until March. I think a lot of banks have it done as a matter of course on foreclosures. On the houses I've been though, the sticker will often be dated. The Realtor should be able to tell you when it was winterized, I would think.
posted by dpx.mfx at 12:48 PM on February 25, 2011

« Older How do I act more controlling ...   |  I need to have a post earring ... Newer »