Amy Pond. Mad, impossible Amy Pond.

Doctor Who themed party at a local bookstore next weekend. Need ideas for costume for a little girl.

Half-Price Books in Louisville is having a Doctor Who party next Saturday, and I'm taking the kids. My oldest boy already has his eleventh doctor costume down pat, but I need ideas for how to outfit my five-year-old girl.

The only companion she's really familiar with is Amy, so my first thought was a little girl version of the short-skirted police girl uniform. But what are some other ideas? I could certainly introduce her to an older companion, if there is one that (a) had a distinctive look that (b) wouldn't be too hard or expensive to replicate.

Any ideas, Whovians? Suggestions on where to shop for the goods would also be much appreciated.
posted by jbickers to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (33 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Weeping angel!
posted by nkknkk at 9:16 AM on February 20, 2011 [1 favorite]

A friend's kid went as a Tardis to a Dr Who party once - box painted blue, windows made of tin foil, shoulder straps inside to hold the box up - cost next to nothing. Depends if she is a girly girl though!
posted by ozgirlabroad at 9:22 AM on February 20, 2011 [1 favorite]

Have her wear a WWII gas mask and ask people, "Are you my mummy?"

I, for one, would run screaming out of the store.

second scariest episode EVER, after Blink with the weeping angels!
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 9:23 AM on February 20, 2011 [27 favorites]

My first thought for your daughter was Weeping Angel, as well. She can run around tagging people and if she gets them they're DOOOOOMED!

I'd also consider an Eleven for her, or maybe Four. (Coat + big scarf and that's pretty much it.) If she's Four she could carry a K-9 toy!
posted by greenland at 9:23 AM on February 20, 2011 [1 favorite]

What about Amy when she was a little girl?
posted by elsietheeel at 9:27 AM on February 20, 2011 [9 favorites]

Could she be seven-year-old Amy, waiting dutifully for her Raggedy Doctor? Requires: nightgown, cardigan, suitcase.

On preview, what elsietheeel said.
posted by pemberkins at 9:32 AM on February 20, 2011 [5 favorites]

Little girl with a balloon from Human Nature.
posted by Sticherbeast at 9:34 AM on February 20, 2011 [2 favorites]

Yeah, if you can find a gas mask, you're golden.

I'll third the idea of little-girl Amy. She could even have a drawing of the raggedy doctor and the crack in her wall done herself in crayon.
posted by maryr at 9:35 AM on February 20, 2011 [1 favorite]

Yeah, nthing Little Amy. She's distinctive, adorable, and age-appropriate.
posted by PhoBWanKenobi at 9:36 AM on February 20, 2011

I do also like Sticherbeast's suggestion of the balloon girl.
posted by pemberkins at 9:40 AM on February 20, 2011

Gas mask. She will freak people out.
posted by Adridne at 9:42 AM on February 20, 2011

I also thought of the gas mask/WWII idea, and like it better than little girl Amy. Amy would be easier, though.
posted by tylerkaraszewski at 9:47 AM on February 20, 2011

Dress your girl as a dalek.
posted by 23skidoo at 9:50 AM on February 20, 2011

A costume for the Daughter from the Family of Blood would be relatively easy. You need a big hairbow, a brown coat, and a red balloon.
posted by pickypicky at 10:00 AM on February 20, 2011 [1 favorite]

A young Madame de Pompadour ?
posted by jozxyqk at 10:01 AM on February 20, 2011

The only companion she's really familiar with is Amy, so my first thought was a little girl version of the short-skirted police girl uniform.

Please don't dress your five-year-old like Sexy Police Officer Kiss-O-Gram.
posted by Sticherbeast at 10:08 AM on February 20, 2011 [4 favorites]

Young Amy Pond was my first thought too, but there's also seven-year-old Madame de Pompadour from "The Girl in the Fireplace". (Or the older version, too, if she wants something more princess-y.)
posted by Johnny Assay at 10:09 AM on February 20, 2011 [2 favorites]

I think the police outfit is inappropriate, considering the sexed-up context.

Young Amy Pond outfit would be easy. A night gown with a red cardigan. Give her an apple as a prop. Or the jacket + hat + mittens combo (might be a bit hot).

Alternatively, you could dress her like grown-up Amy in The Beast Below. (Essentially, Wendy.)

As far as older companions... Ace, maybe? If you could find a small faux-leather jacket and cover it with patches.
posted by Solon and Thanks at 10:44 AM on February 20, 2011

Sticherbeast has it. As soon as I read this question I thought of Daughter from Family of Blood. Easy to do, cute, and yet somehow unsettling.
posted by just_ducky at 10:54 AM on February 20, 2011

Oh god, please make her a tiny Dalek. You want an embroidery hoop to rest on her shoulders and an ovally-bent hula hoop on the floor, connected to each other with a shell of midweight canvas painted matte khaki/gold. A gold-painted bucket upside down on her head completes the look. Gold knobby things can be made from, uh. OH! Those clear plastic egg things that you get crap toys in from bubblegum machines, painted gold, maybe?

I mean, I guess you could also just buy one online too. I am admittedly a little wacky on caulking fumes today and therefore the idea of a 5 year old with a bucket on her head gleefully bellowing EXTERMINATE is utterly fucking delightful.
posted by elizardbits at 11:09 AM on February 20, 2011 [1 favorite]

Why can't she go as Doctor Who?
posted by aunt_winnifred at 11:16 AM on February 20, 2011 [2 favorites]

I really, really vote for the gas mask and "are you my mummy" idea.
posted by lemniskate at 11:22 AM on February 20, 2011

If not seven-year-old Amy (and seriously, why not?), maybe CAL from "Silence in the Library". For the love of god don't dress your child as a kiss-o-gram.
posted by milk white peacock at 11:55 AM on February 20, 2011 [1 favorite]

"Why can't she go as Doctor Who?"

Because there's no such character! Young Madame de Pompadour was my first thought too. Perhaps K-9?
posted by goo at 1:32 PM on February 20, 2011

Although I do love the idea of a tiny Four - fluffy hair, a big coat and an enormous scarf could be adorable.
posted by goo at 1:41 PM on February 20, 2011

Instead of being Doctor #4, she could soften his look a little and be Lady Romana!
posted by KingEdRa at 2:14 PM on February 20, 2011

I know there was no such character as a little girl Dr. Who, but I think the idea of a wee Fourth Doctor is adorable. I put on my husband's Fourth Doctor scarf and hat (with my own white shirt, brown jacket, trousers, and shoes) before he wore it on Halloween, and the effect was pretty cute.
posted by pinky at 2:23 PM on February 20, 2011

Sorry pinky, I meant there's no such character as Doctor Who, period. That's like saying you could go as The X-Files, when you mean Mulder. Doctor Who is the title of the show, but the character is just The Doctor.
posted by goo at 3:18 PM on February 20, 2011 [1 favorite]

Tell her to wear whatever the hell she wants, and to carry a sonic screwdriver. When people ask her, she simply answers that she is The Doctor. When they ask which one, say 'The twelfth.'
posted by obiwanwasabi at 3:29 PM on February 20, 2011 [1 favorite]

Perhaps gender appropriate, have her go as Nancy, but dress a doll in a wee gas mask. (But I'm a sucker for the braids Nancy sports on little gals.)
posted by librarianamy at 4:18 PM on February 20, 2011

Definitely go make her a dalek. I think it wold be fun for a tot to run around with a plunger squealing 'exterminate.' Maybe more appropriate for a little boy, but I think it would be a hit.

And take photos and post them here.
posted by MiggySawdust at 4:32 PM on February 20, 2011

Sarah Jane Smith. Heck, she'll know at least 3 of the doctors there....
posted by Nanukthedog at 6:17 PM on February 20, 2011

In retrospect I don't know why young Amy wasn't obvious, since my girl is an adorable little redhead. So she went as Amy, and my 8-year-old boy went as the Empty Child. He was a huge hit (and won the costume contest), spent the whole party walking up behind people and chanting "muuummmmmyyy ..."

Here are pictures the bookstore took. This one is me with Amy and Empty Child.

An interesting side-note: The builder of the TARDIS now has an unexpected revenue source, as people are asking him to rent it out for private events. One couple at the party is planning a Who-themed wedding, and are renting it to be their altar.
posted by jbickers at 8:46 AM on February 27, 2011

« Older To import food from the US to ...   |  Did I break my washing machine... Newer »