mobile phone in another city
April 22, 2005 12:19 PM Subscribe
I'm moving this summer. I'd like to get a new mobile phone and service plan based in my new city a few months before I move so people, and potential employers, can call me via a number that's local to them. Never having done this before, I have many questions.
posted by alan to technology (14 answers total)
1. Is this even possible? Will the mobile companies let me have a phone whose home region is based somewhere I don't have a permanent address yet?
2. If not having an address is a problem, will getting a PO box in the new city help?
3. Who's the "least evil" provider these days?
4. Any other pitfalls I should watch out for buying a phone online?
5. New city is Portland, OR, if that matters
I tried going into a local store and asking some of these questions, and got conflicting answers and puzzled looks. If anyone here could lend me a hand I'd greatly appreciate it.