Skip

Creativity Gadget Gift Ideas!!
February 15, 2011 8:48 PM   Subscribe

Help me think of a good creativity gadget gift for a friend!!

I appreciate any suggestions!
here are some further characteristics I'm looking for...
- ideally portable!
- up to $100 or a little more (less is fine too!)
- by creativity, I mean especially, but not only, music-making or visual arts (including photo/video)
- if it's related to the iphone or mac, that's good too.
- no steep learning curve
- does not have to be digital / electronic

I was thinking of getting the Korg Kaossilator but am not sure about the synth sounds...

Thanks very much for your tips!
posted by Bwithh to Shopping (9 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Flip video cameras start at about $150, but I bet you can find a cheaper one if you're willing to go for an older gen one.
I know you said you don't know about synths, but have you considered the Thingamagoop from Bleep Labs? It's a build-it-yourself thing, so your friend would need to know how to solder.
posted by Gilbert at 9:04 PM on February 15, 2011

Kodak makes a Flip-like HD camera for $100.
posted by Askr at 9:09 PM on February 15, 2011

do they already have a camera? if so, some useful accessories, like a tripod and a lighting setup?
posted by 5_13_23_42_69_666 at 9:32 PM on February 15, 2011

As an accessory to creative pursuits on the Mac, people have loved this Powermate multifunctional usb knob for years. You program it to control anything you want.

This digital music maker, though apparently targeted at kids, might be a fun thing. And it's cheap.
posted by Askr at 10:12 PM on February 15, 2011

I got my girlfriend a gorillapod for her birthday. She loves it. They have a bunch of different models depending on the size of your camera. I got her one size bigger than what she needed to ensure it would still work if she upgraded to a slightly bigger SLR.
posted by orangeseed at 10:23 PM on February 15, 2011

PhotoJoJo has some gifts for photographers including iPhone accessory lenses and filters.

creative use (check)
iPhone related (check)
portable (check)
less than $100 (check)
easy to use (check)
not electronic (check)
posted by j03 at 12:38 AM on February 16, 2011

I was looking at the Zoom H1 digital recorder last night, maybe that might work. It's just at the edge of your budget iirc.
posted by TrinsicWS at 3:31 AM on February 16, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions so far - looking them up. I think my friend already has a Flip.
more tips welcome!
posted by Bwithh at 6:22 AM on February 16, 2011

How about a Wacom tablet, this one fits your price range. Comes with Photoshop Elements.
posted by FormerMermaid at 7:35 AM on February 16, 2011

« Older I overheard about a recipe, in...   |  Tell me about your experiences... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.