One two three one two three VIC-TO-RY

Please provide me with powerful, cinematic, orchestral waltzes.

Like this, this, this or this.

It doesn't have to have been used in a movie but should feel like it belongs in one.

Thank you!
posted by timshel to Media & Arts (11 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

"Birth Waltz," by Alexandre Desplat.
"End Titles," by John Ottman. (from the Apt Pupil soundtrack)
posted by Sticherbeast at 6:47 AM on February 15, 2011

Not strictly speaking a waltz, but the second movement from Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6.

And, of course, there's always Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre, which has the added bonus of being used in at least one well-known movie (Amélie.)
posted by Johnny Assay at 7:10 AM on February 15, 2011

Sobre las Olas by Juventino Rosas is one that everyone knows, but few people could name if they heard it.
posted by pickypicky at 7:43 AM on February 15, 2011

Lara's Theme from Dr. Zhivago—far and away the most cinematic waltz ever (in my opinion).

Incidentally, it would be great if people would name YouTube links rather than simply saying "this, this, this or this," which requires you to click on each one to find out what it is.)
posted by languagehat at 8:39 AM on February 15, 2011

Dancing, by Michiru Oshima, from the Fullmetal Alchemist soundtrack
posted by Jelly at 8:44 AM on February 15, 2011

These are great so far, thanks.

Noted, LH.
posted by timshel at 8:55 AM on February 15, 2011

Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty Waltz is powerful and cinematic.
posted by workerant at 9:27 AM on February 15, 2011

Umeyabashi Shigeru - Yumeji's theme.
posted by subtle-t at 11:39 AM on February 15, 2011

The Last Waltz by Yeong-wook Jo, from the soundtrack to the movie Oldboy. Can't find the original online, but here's a lovely accordian rendition.
posted by dephlogisticated at 11:51 AM on February 15, 2011

Weil: Suite from the Threepenny Opera
I like the Gulbenkian Orchestra version,
posted by hortense at 9:54 PM on February 15, 2011

Johann Strauss II has so many others to choose from...for your criteria, the Kaiser-Walzer (Emperor Waltz) comes to mind right away.

For more Viennese waltzes, I don't think you can go wrong with Carlos Kleiber -- if you search for Kleiber and waltz or walzer, you might find more that you like. e.g. here's another by J. Strauss II: Accelerationen (Accelerations), Op. 234.

There are some wonderful waltzes in the Vienna-set opera Der Rosenkavalier by Richard Strauss (unrelated to Johann). Here's a nice orchestra-only arrangement of the waltzes (the audience shots made me laugh).

Also check out more Tchaikovsky...specifically the waltz from the opera Eugene Onegin (not sure if you are OK with vocals/chorus, so here's an orchestra-only version). The waltzes from Swan Lake and The Nutcracker might fit, too, I think. Here's an interesting version of Waltz of the Flowers (from The Nutcracker) conducted by Fritz Reiner.

You might like Franz Lehár's Gold and Silver Waltz. The link goes to a recording of Lehár conducting his own music.

I'm sure most if not all of these have been used in movies at some point.

(I wrote this down for my own reference, but just in case the links in the question expire in the future, the pieces are:
Dmitri Shostakovich - Waltz No. 2 from The Suite for Variety Orchestra (formerly The Suite for Jazz Orchestra No. 2)
Aram Khachaturian - Waltz from Masquerade
Johann Strauss II - The Blue Danube Waltz
Sergei Prokofiev - Cinderella Suite - Cinderella's Waltz)
posted by rangefinder 1.4 at 2:08 AM on February 17, 2011 [1 favorite]

« Older I'm looking for a smartphone +...   |  What is the easiest way to col... Newer »