Clear pipe mystery: sink won't drain
April 22, 2005 6:54 AM Subscribe
My kitchen sink is very
slow to drain. The pipes are clear and the garbage disposal is new. When I run the disposal, all the water/other stuff in the sink drains out without too much trouble. Is there some way to adjust the spinning element in the disposal
to make sure the drain holes inside it are fully open?
posted by clgregor to home & garden (12 answers total)
Yesterday I ran the dishwasher before leaving for work and when I returned home in the evening, the sink was full of the dishwasher water. I flipped on the disposal and in seconds all the water drained. So far, I've done several things to try and fix this problem:
- Install an air-gap to prevent water from draining back into the dishwasher.
- Un-hook the disposal and check the pipes (they're clear)
- Run hot water through the disposal
- Run ice cubes through the disposal
- Try turning the internal mechanism with the alan wrench provided (that was just basically manual operation)
- Look indies the 'mouth' of the disposal and the 'throat' type area that leads to the exit-pipe. Seems pretty clear. No greasy build-up or anything.
- Remove and reattach the exit-pipe from the disposal (also clear)