Vintage Digital Multieffects Pedal

What is a cheap, crazy sounding vintage multi effects unit?

So, often digital effects sound ridiculous and completely unlike the analog effects they are supposed to emulate. I want to take find a relatively cheap multi effects box, preferably from 80s or whenever they first started making these things. Basically I'm looking for one that has the potential of being transcendentally cheesy/insane to the point of being awesome. Not looking for cheesy in a lame "haha the 80s sucked" way but something that could be interesting in its own way. It could even be a toy or student unit kind of deal, I feel like the nicer ones would start to sound too "good". A stompbox would be better but a rack unit would be alright too.

Bonus question: does anyone know of a cheap funky electric piano ie the wurlitzer 101 MLM?
posted by bigspoon to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Zoom 9002. I had one for years and still regret selling it. I had amazing sound, was great for recording, and didn't sound like anything else I've ever used. And it didn't even try to emulate anything.

It wasn't a rack unit or a pedal unit. It went on your guitar strap and had a wired remote that stuck to the front of the guitar. Crazy.
posted by The World Famous at 5:08 PM on February 14, 2011

Boyfriend recommends Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man stomp box.
posted by kimdog at 5:30 PM on February 14, 2011

The Lexicon Vortex is one insanely cool rack unit, a secret weapon of various well-known guitar slingers. The Digitech 2101 and 2112 are also great, and both have tube preamp sections.
posted by dbiedny at 5:34 PM on February 14, 2011

The EH Memory Man is only a bucket-brigade analog delay, it's a bit limiting (and I own one, and love it, FWIW).
posted by dbiedny at 5:35 PM on February 14, 2011

Ibanez rack units fro the era, especially the UE400 or the AD202 are VERY sought after due to the quality of their chorus and delay.
posted by sourwookie at 6:04 PM on February 14, 2011

Those old analog delays had a certain something. I used to have an old Radio-Shack reverb-delay. Now that was one evil #*' box. Noisy, but nothing else sounded like it. Now long gone.
posted by ovvl at 8:13 PM on February 14, 2011

« Older I've got $50k -- help me run a...   |  So how's the fishing on Cape C... Newer »