POP3 E-mail Forwarding?

I have two pop3 e-mail accounts (ISP and university), and I want to automatically forward all mail I receive in these accounts to my Gmail address. Is there a way to do this?

I've been checking these accounts manually via Outlook, but it's a pain in the butt - I want all of my mail in one place, and I like Gmail the best. As far as I can tell, Gmail can't check external pop3 accounts (yet), and my ISPs don't offer mail forwarding to external addresses.

I need something that will check these two pop3 accounts periodically and forward all mail to Gmail, not something I have to execute manually. Any ideas?
posted by kaufmajm to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)

2 ways:

1. you could ask ISP & University to forward all incoming mail right at their server, to your gmail acct.

2. you could create forwarding rules in your desktop mail client to forward to your gmail acct.

I think #1 is easiest.

Steve
posted by stevejensen at 2:23 PM on April 21, 2005

You could set up Outlook such that it would check your Pop accounts every so many minutes, and then setup a filter to automatically forward all incoming mail to your Gmail account.

The only drawback is that you would have to leave Outlook running in the background (or on an old box you are no longer running) to get this to work.
posted by tuxster at 2:23 PM on April 21, 2005

You can also search the Internet for any software that does this. APD-Soft Mail Filter and Forwarder is one such example.
posted by tuxster at 2:26 PM on April 21, 2005

Your university account probably allows you a unix login...telnet into your unix account and create a file called .forward (note the . ) That file should contain the email address you want to forward to (and nothing else). Save the file. Done.
posted by duck at 3:28 PM on April 21, 2005

« Older Have you or a family member go...   |  My company has 37 sites in the... Newer »