skype + wifi + iphone = the ultimate threesome?

can i use skype over wifi on my iphone without getting hit with data/phone charges? googlefu has failed me - now i'm more confused than ever.

maybe i have two three questions. ok, i'm pretty sure i do ... but question 1 is most important.

i have iphone 3g (spare, no sim card) and 3gs (this one has my sim card); i have wifi in my apartment; i (sadly) have at&t cell service. i have google voice and don't mind buying the nonskype plan - it's still cheaper than a landline. neither phone is jailbroken/jailbroke/stolen/whatever.

1. can i use skype on my 3gs in my apartment over wifi but not using at&t data or minutes?

2. how does sound compare on skype/iphone/wifi vs iphone/att network? i live in chicago and have typical shitty problems with att - pretty much no service in my apartment.

3. can i use my spare 3g as a dedicated skype/iphone/wifi? it does not have a sim card.

does this make sense? am i asking the right questions?
posted by crankyrogalsky to Technology (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

1) Yes.

2) It's pretty good! I use it regularly to call in to teleconference meetings.

3) Yep. Just connect it to your wifi, fire up skype, and converse as much as you want.
posted by Tomorrowful at 10:50 AM on February 9, 2011 [1 favorite]

Skype, I believe, only uses wifi on iOS devices. So you're safe.
posted by bitdamaged at 11:26 AM on February 9, 2011

This has changed; it's now available on 3G as well, and the short-lived plans to charge extra for that feature have been dropped.
posted by Tomorrowful at 11:31 AM on February 9, 2011

To be extra safe, you can always change your phone to be in airplane mode and then turn on your wifi (for the 3gs with a sim). That way there is NO CHANCE that AT&T will charge you for data.
posted by jillithd at 12:10 PM on February 9, 2011 [1 favorite]

you guys are all amazing ... i didn't even realize i could use the phone without the sim card. i've just spent the last hour playing with it. now i can play sudoku on it, use it as an alarm clock, etc.

i can't believe i didn't know any of this. dios mio - i feel an idiot. but am super super grateful.
posted by crankyrogalsky at 1:05 PM on February 9, 2011

iOS 4 added the ability to turn off the cellular data completely without having to go through putting the phone in airplane mode. This will allow incoming texts and calls to your phone but stops any data via ATT.
posted by birdherder at 1:22 PM on February 9, 2011

i like airplane mode ... instead of an ugly "no sim card" message, i have a cute orange airplane. and a new phone/alarm clock/sudoku/wikipedia tool. oh - and an electronic level.

it's like a mini ipad ... which sounds stupid, but will likely keep me from leaving my phone at home. which i do ALL THE TIME.
posted by crankyrogalsky at 1:45 PM on February 9, 2011

Yes. My coworker uses Skype on his iPod touch.
posted by chunking express at 6:01 AM on February 10, 2011

« Older Hi I have this router http://w...   |  Need a good source for watchin... Newer »