Will an international unlocked smartphone work with Fido? Which one to buy?
February 8, 2011 6:28 PM Subscribe
A two-parter on smartphones: 1. Can I buy an unlocked smartphone on Amazon and use it with Fido? 2. Help an iphone user pick a non-iphone smartphone.
posted by If only I had a penguin... to Technology (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I am Canadian but currently in the US. I'm thinking of buying a smartphone while I'm here and having it delivered to my hotel. These unlocked phones are normally "international versions" not for sale in the US. I don't want to use it in the US, I want to use it in Canada. Will that work and will Fido set up my data connection on such a phone? It looks from the reviews like some people in the US have been refused data service by AT&T. I want to know that I will be able to get service and be able to download apps.
Part 2. I'm an iphone user. I loved my iphone with all my heart, but now it is gone and I can't afford to replace it at the non-contract price. Still, the want of a smartphone is frequently proving inconvenient. Please suggest an under $300 smartphone (as in purchasable on amazon, unlocked, without contract at this price) smartphone that would meet my needs.
- For no particular reason, I think I prefer Android to windows. This is mainly anti-windows reactionism, so I'm willing to be told I'm wrong.
- Nice app selection.
- Lots of room for music 16-32G. I suppose I could tolerate having this on an SD card and not the phone.
- Must sync with gmail, google calendar, and preferable google contacts.
- Nice touch-screen interface.
- I think I prefer the iphone style touchscreen keyboard to the blackberry style keyboards.
What phone should I be looking at?