Cardboard to plastic

What's the best way of turning a cardboard art project model into plastic?

I have a ~80x20x20 cm cardboard model made of rectangular boxes, nothing tricky. It's made out of cardboard, and it's old. I'd love to have the same thing made into plastic.

Where do I start? Where can I go? Who can I ask?
posted by devnull to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You're probably looking at buying sheets of some sort of plastic, cutting out parts and gluing them together. Anything else is likely to be prohibitively expensive.
posted by jon1270 at 12:34 PM on February 4, 2011

If you can build a CAD model of the object, you can send it to i.materialise for 3D printing.
posted by msbutah at 1:22 PM on February 4, 2011 [1 favorite]

There are also many other companies who offer this service.
posted by msbutah at 1:23 PM on February 4, 2011

The guys at Glif blogged about their process in making it: Idea to Market in 5 Months: Making the Glif. Their post might have some good insights about how to go about it. Incidentally, the 3D printer they used was Shapeways.
posted by Alt F4 at 6:50 AM on February 5, 2011

« Older Could a young man ever wear th...   |  I want raw, dingy music about ... Newer »