Home is where I want to be, pick me up and turn me round.
January 31, 2011 2:40 PM Subscribe
Walkable cities and neighborhoods in those cities - or help us pick a place to live:
We're looking at moving late summer early fall from the San Francisco bay area to somewhere in the continental united states. We're leaning towards the pacific northwest (due to family), but are open for really anywhere in the states with some nice to have features of where we end up...since this is a broad topic we're sourcing the hive mind for their suggestions and personal experiences:
* An hours drive/train ride from a reasonably sized airport - aka feeder in to a major hub for multiple airlines with several flights in and out daily.
* Rental housing - 3 bedroom/2 bath houses for around 1400/mo.
* Walkable - wife wants to be able to walk with the baby, is tired of piling in to the car to get groceries/etc.
* Good or above average public schools.
* Weather - reasonable climate - we don't mind snow/rain/sun but we do like distinct seasons.
* Access to nature - hiking, biking, walking, climbing, etc
* Ethnic diversity (we live in a very diverse part of the country right now, and while it's not possible everywhere, we really like it and want to remain in it).
Portland/Seattle/Denver are on the list of places, but what neighborhoods in those cities or others and outlieing areas would fit the above criteria? Help us broaden our housing horizons!
Job is highly portable, I work remotely or fly wherever I am needed. Sometimes this means flying out of town every week, so being close-ish to an airport means I can get out and get home to the wife and baby without wasting travel time.