Skip

Need to get rid of some bedding
January 30, 2011 5:36 PM   Subscribe

How could I get rid of some duvets?

I have two or three, almost new. (If it matters, they're plain white polyester, machine washable). I don't need them and want to clear up some space.

Options I'm considering:

a) donation, but some donation places I've looked into specify they don't want bedding.

b) selling them, but would anyone want to buy them?

c) I could just throw them out, but would prefer not.

d) I suppose I could also use the social media to see if people I know could use them.

Thoughts? Ideas? (Preferably nothing TOO inconvenient).

(I also live in LA so I have access to pretty much anything).
posted by world b free to Home & Garden (14 answers total)

I've never seen any donation places that won't take bedding, but most Animal Rescue places will gladly take them.
posted by Ideefixe at 5:37 PM on January 30, 2011 [2 favorites]

People generally don't want to take bedding because of concerns about bedbugs.
posted by dfriedman at 5:39 PM on January 30, 2011

Seconding animal rescue operations. Donation places in most large US cities aren't taking bedding right now because of ye olde bedbugs.
posted by Sidhedevil at 5:46 PM on January 30, 2011 [2 favorites]

Freecycle?
posted by flex at 5:51 PM on January 30, 2011

Definitely animal services. From LA Animal Services website "Our animal care centers always need blankets, newspaper, and other items." Here's a list of their shelter locations, clicking on the name in the left hand nav brings up each shelter's wish list (example).

They also appreciate towels, if any of those turn up while cleaning out the linen closet.
posted by jamaro at 5:54 PM on January 30, 2011

If they're in good condition then Freecycle will get them to a human who wants/needs them, rather than animals which would be as comfortable in less-good bedding.

Craigslist is also good for passing stuff on at low cost or free.
posted by anadem at 6:33 PM on January 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

Clarification question - are you getting rid of duvets (the actual comforters) or duvet covers? I think the answers you'll get will probably be the same for both, but just wanted to double check.
posted by echo0720 at 6:41 PM on January 30, 2011

Ditto freecycle and animal shelters.
posted by salvia at 7:36 PM on January 30, 2011

Vet offices, too.
posted by BlahLaLa at 7:49 PM on January 30, 2011

Nthing Animal shelters, especially LA Animal Services. That place is so underfunded it's ridiculous.
posted by arishaun at 7:59 PM on January 30, 2011

Nthing animal shelters. They'll take any old blankets, towels, etc. to use for bedding for pets and other purposes.
posted by elpea at 9:17 PM on January 30, 2011 [1 favorite]

@echo0720...actual duvets, not covers.

These are all great suggestions, guys. Thanks!
posted by world b free at 12:15 AM on January 31, 2011

Definitely ask your friends and family.

I had a down mattress-topper that I was trying and trying to sell on Craigslist. I complained about it to my mom and she said "Oh, I've been thinking of buying one of those!" So I "sold" it to her for like $20.

It's not like we're talking about washcloths -- down comforters are expensive items that are supposed to last decades. They should be passed around/handed down.
posted by thebazilist at 11:51 AM on January 31, 2011

Our SPCA takes towels and sheets as well as blankets and duvets -- even just pieces of fabric -- because they get through so much bedding for the animals. (I worked with shy, feral cats, who often got to have chair-and-sheet forts built for them to hide in. Fun!)
posted by vickyverky at 12:26 PM on January 31, 2011

« Older I use Yahoo for my RSS feeds b...   |  State Tax Question: I live in ... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.