Name my blog babby

Help me name a blog.

I'm a research scientist (ecologist/R geek/hierarchical data modeler) and I've finally decided it's time for me to start blogging about tools, techniques, publications related to the aforementioned topics .

Can you help me think of a domain hack using the following keywords:

R, Ecology, Data, Data Science, Time Series, Modeling, Bayesian 1. I've played around with domai.nr but can't think of anything but the obvious ones (e.g. I thought I could do r.ecolo.gy but that domain is taken) .

1. Although I will cover some Bayesian topics, I'd rather not have that in the title since it won't be the main focus
posted by special-k to Computers & Internet (15 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I don't know much about what kind of URL is available with a blog domain hack: is there any option to put characters after the first slash? For instance: d.at/a
posted by John Cohen at 1:01 PM on January 28, 2011

(Actually, d.at/a doesn't work anyway -- sorry.)
posted by John Cohen at 1:03 PM on January 28, 2011

domai.nr says that timeseri.es is available.
posted by John Cohen at 1:04 PM on January 28, 2011 [1 favorite]

I've noticed that single character domain names are very difficult to get in any TLD.
posted by special-k at 1:05 PM on January 28, 2011

You may also want to give werdmerge.com a try, I've found it helpful when trying to come up with clever domain names.
posted by hummercash at 2:00 PM on January 28, 2011

inundate + data from werdmerge = inundata
domai.nr says inundata.net/org are available as well as inund.at/a (but I find that domain to be a bit hard to remember and type)
posted by hummercash at 2:16 PM on January 28, 2011 [2 favorites]

What domain suffix will you buy? Will you want to shell out extra money for an out of country domain, or are you going to stick with .com?
posted by hal_c_on at 2:22 PM on January 28, 2011

I am open to any suffix.
posted by special-k at 2:26 PM on January 28, 2011

Will you want to shell out extra money for an out of country domain, or are you going to stick with .com?

I was assuming the OP specifically doesn't want to straightforwardly use the blog name + .com (or .org, etc.), since that wouldn't be a "domain hack."
posted by John Cohen at 2:54 PM on January 28, 2011

Does it have to be a domain hack? Some made-up terms like modologist.net and ecodatist.com are available.
posted by anildash at 3:05 PM on January 28, 2011 [1 favorite]

ecologic.al seems available.
posted by preparat at 3:13 PM on January 28, 2011 [1 favorite]

ecolo.gr is open.
posted by benzenedream at 3:36 PM on January 28, 2011

Or ecolo.gi.
posted by notquitemaryann at 4:14 PM on January 28, 2011

ecolo.gi sounds like e coli: GI (as in, tract) to me.

Just wanted to say, if you're not entirely tied to the idea of a domain name hack, then there's no need to name your domain and your blog the same thing...it's really limiting, since then the blog name/title must be short and available. It just doesn't need to be, as the domain and the name serve two entirely different purposes.

I personally think your real name would be a great domain hack, and then the subfolders/subdomains could be blogs or blog pages...called whatever you like and forever changeable.
posted by iamkimiam at 5:38 PM on January 28, 2011

rvalu.es
posted by tenzingy at 8:10 PM on January 28, 2011

« Older Please tell me about ham radio...   |  A menu using the CSS "fix... Newer »