Join 3,551 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

What is "winter resort casual wear"?
January 28, 2011 9:29 AM   Subscribe

What is "winter resort casual wear"? I have been awarded a trip (by my company) to Aspen CO in Februrary at the St. Regis. I'm told the attire is winter resort casual, but I don't know what this means. I'm not a skier, but I am a Googler, and all I find is resort casual, which seems to indicate warmer climate destinations, or mountain casual. Nothing for winter resort casual. Help me (and my wife) understand what not to wear.
posted by tdischino to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (14 answers total)

My guess: look nice. Look like you have money and taste but just choose not to flaunt it. Shirts and sport apparel might have small logos. No buddweiser apparel. Pants or nice dark jeans. Eschew beat up sneakers but no ties. Nice sweaters.
posted by amanda at 9:58 AM on January 28, 2011

The keyword you want is apres ski; still winter clothing, but not sporting apparel, semi-stylish.
posted by slow graffiti at 9:59 AM on January 28, 2011 [2 favorites]

Bleh. I hate made-up dress codes.

Resort-y Colorado mountain towns: casual but upscale-ish. Generally, chic mountain wear, so you can be warm but not sloppy-looking - trim snow boots, tailored down coats, chunky sweaters. Lots of layers. Cocktail dresses and a suitable over-thing if you like dressing up, but most people eating in nice places in will be in jeans. Basically just cold weather city gear, or alternatively, mountain gear that isn't ratty (although I promise you, you will see plenty of ratty ski coats, too). Boots actually made for snow are a must - you can get a cute ones like these, but no one will blink if you run to Goodwill for a $10 pair of old-school Sorels or something. In places with Serious Weather, everyone respects the importance of *functional* clothing.
posted by peachfuzz at 10:00 AM on January 28, 2011

My understanding of this would be that (for starters) clothing items are properly ironed, have no holes, and do not include sweat pants or grunge-type flannel shirts. You should look neat and have a bit of stylish flair. Après ski wear that would otherwise be (for some) Uggs and sweatpants with something emblazoned across the rear end is turned into smart après ski wear. Jeans should fit well, sweaters should be unstretched and not felted or pilled, t-shirts should be tailored, and shoes should be in good shape.
posted by analog at 10:03 AM on January 28, 2011 [1 favorite]

North Face and Patagonia type stuff?

I'm just guessing based on what I would be wearing if I was on a ski trip but not actually skiing.
posted by tylerkaraszewski at 10:13 AM on January 28, 2011

Some thick, thick wide-wale cords and a chunky, muted sweater. Dark jeans. Understated small-pattern gingham collared shirt.
posted by notsnot at 10:17 AM on January 28, 2011 [2 favorites]

I somehow completely missed that you were a man. Sorry! Maybe your wife can use the info in my previous comment.

Snow boots (or otherwise waterproof boots) still apply. Dark jeans, heavy dark twills; corduroys; you'll see plenty of those fake-technical fabrics too, all the "lifestyle" stuff from The North Face etc.

Interesting button downs and sweaters. Non-fleece or down vests if you are awesome and confident; fleece and down vests if you are still awesome but would like to blend in more. A clean soft shell or quilted jacket in good shape should do you for outerwear, though casual jackets (corduroy, etc) would be fabulous (probably not warm enough on their own though).
posted by peachfuzz at 10:29 AM on January 28, 2011

I love the Gorsuch catalog, for fantasizing inspiration.

Or imagine business/business-casual, except that it's freezing out and you won't have a change of clothing under your desk.
posted by thebazilist at 10:45 AM on January 28, 2011

turtleneck sweaters.
posted by alkupe at 12:16 PM on January 28, 2011

Hiking boots for the snowy ground, blue jeans are fine for around a village, sweater or fleece upper layer, shell layer (gore-tex). As above, basically Apres-Ski wear, without ignoring the weather you may encounter getting from the hotel to the village attractions.
posted by hungrysquirrels at 2:05 PM on January 28, 2011

"Mountain casual" sounds like it's probably right to me (without knowing what that is). But yeah, turtlenecks, sweaters, etc. I also have trouble believing you'd look out of place in a fleece in ski country, but that's more on the casual side for sure.
posted by J. Wilson at 5:46 PM on January 28, 2011

Okay, I might list off brands here but I think they tend to be better as a inspiration rather than a dogma.

Dark, raw sim jeans - A.P.C. petit/ new standards, not cuffed but hemmed
Chunky knit wool jumpers - RAF simons, jil sander, apc or nom de Guerre come to mind. Tasteful, earthy colors or muted fairisle patterns work.
Casual, slim 2-button blazer, thin/mid-lapels for dinners out - apc, lad musician or surface 2 air are good bets
Footwear - mountaineering Americana is all in, try some chunky brogue-style boots by church, mountaineering lights by Visvim or some 70s vintage-esque by diemme
Shirting - plain oxford overdyes are always handy - band of outsiders or gitman for plaids.

I think this is overkill but I hope I steer you in the right direction.
posted by kurosawa's pal at 7:12 PM on January 28, 2011

I agree totally with the other advice you're being given, but would add just a bit for your wife.

Sweater dresses and tights would work well here. Just think about what you might wear out to a nice lunch after skiing, and you'll be set. Understated jewelry, not a lot of shiny bling.
posted by Nickel Pickle at 8:39 PM on January 28, 2011

Sweaters!
posted by Askr at 9:38 AM on January 29, 2011

« Older I met a lovely young lady at d...   |  Got my student evals back, and... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.