Do Apple Cider Vinegar Pills Work?

Anyone experience any benefits from taking Apple Cider Vinegar pills?

Mainly I want to see if this helps with the mild redness and dry skin on my face that I always seem to have. I've tried every cream, cleanser, oil, etc... still get redness around on and around the nose. I heard ACV in general is good for skin conditions among other things. My doctor didn't offer up any evidence or belief in it but did give me the go ahead.

Has anyone taken ACV pills specifically? (I'm not sure I can drink ACV every day because of the taste. Some people say you have to drink it throughout the day, which I definitely cannot do, and others say just a few teaspoons twice a day.)

I guess ACV is also helpful if you dilute with water and apply to the face as well so I might try that too. Really I'm just interested in the experience of taking them, regardless if it was for a skin condition. Thanks!!!
posted by modoriculous to Health & Fitness (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

My mom took apple cider vinegar (not the pills, a spoonful of the vinegar itself) before bed everynight for a few weeks to treat acid reflux. The doctor told her to stop because it can mess up the balance of stuff in her stomach, even if it works. Anyway, it did work and after she stopped taking it the reflux didn't come back.
posted by If only I had a penguin... at 5:35 AM on January 24, 2011

My understanding was that apple cider vinegar is beneficial for some skin conditions when used topically, not internally.
posted by Cat Pie Hurts at 5:42 AM on January 24, 2011 [1 favorite]

Looking around on various scholarly websites, it doesn't appear there's been much (or any) research on this. There's no reason to do it.

No reason not to, of course, unless you're opposed to supporting companies that make money selling snake oil to consumers who are so desperate for a cure to their ailment that they'll try *anything* to get better.
posted by pjaust at 5:47 AM on January 24, 2011 [1 favorite]

I drank it diluted after meals for about six months while trying to get rid of GERD. My GERD has been gone for three years now, but I also made some drastic dietary changes at that time too.
posted by melissam at 6:04 AM on January 24, 2011

Was just coming in to say what Cat Pie Hurts said.

Though, rereading your question, I'm not sure it would work at all for dry skin. Vinegar is an acid. I'd potentially suggest it as a way to cut down on oiliness. If anything, it would probably make irritated skin more irritated.
posted by Sara C. at 12:08 PM on January 24, 2011

Hi, I have similar problems and recently got a facial. They facialist (is that a real thing?) was very smart and mentioned the benefits of an Alkaline diet which you can easily google. Also, the liquid form of ACV is going to be way more beneficial than the pill form.
posted by gbentz at 1:40 PM on January 24, 2011

I enjoy ACV as a beverage, supposed health benefits notwithstanding. I began imbibing it regularly after exercise for it's proven (though minor) effects on glycogen repletion/insulin sensitivity and for possible acne relief (never happened), but now I just drink it because I love the taste. Mix a dash with a full glass of sparkling water. Gorgeous. I need at least 2 pints of it a day or the cravings kick in.

BTW dilution seems to greatly lessen any acid damage to the oesophagus & teeth. I've been drinking it for years now and have no ill effects. In addition to tasting gack, straight shots can burn, and the same goes for pills.
posted by Kandarp Von Bontee at 7:47 PM on January 25, 2011

« Older $20, SAIT? Truly? Possibly NSF...   |  Is it legal to secretly videot... Newer »