Questions about Prime Ministers Questions
January 19, 2011 11:44 PM Subscribe
So, questions about Prime Ministers Questions.
posted by Mutant to law & government (22 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
Recently I've been trying to catch as many Prime Ministers Questions (PMQ) as possible, and I'm finding the back and forth interesting, informative as well as (especially the last two weeks or so) entertaining. A few questions:
- Why do Cameron, et al address "Mr Speaker"? He's the moderator but it seems many of the arguments are directed towards him. Is this just a figure of speech or will he act on these arguments?
- Some of the backbenchers have been close to out of control the last few PMQs; can The Speaker eject anyone? Has this ever happened?
- Process for raising questions: if I had a query do I raise it with my MP, explicitly asking that it been brought up during PMQ or is this a decision that she'd take forward?
- What control does Miliband, et al have over the agenda? Specifically, even though its called PMQ I don't sense that the opposition can direct the discussion much, or am I (probably) off base here?
- Has anyone attended Strangers Gallery? If so how did you get tickets and what is the protocol for attending - is it any different than entering Parliament any other time?
Thanks for indulging, I'm trying to learn as much as I can before finally naturalising …