Forum for finding a picture

Is there a forum out there where I can post a "query" (for example, "dramatic painting of an old wise man pointing to the heavens") and crowd-source the results? I'd like to be on both sides of that game!
posted by oneous to Computers & Internet (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Sort of.
posted by novalis_dt at 12:02 PM on January 18, 2011 [1 favorite]

Yes; sort of.
posted by felix at 1:26 PM on January 18, 2011

Amazon Mechanical Turk
posted by felix at 1:27 PM on January 18, 2011

I have to admit that I don't quite understand your question - are you saying "I remember having seen a dramatic painting of an old man pointing to the heavens - does anyone know what painting that might have been?" or are you saying "I have a need for a painting of an old man... - would someone like to create one for me?"

If you remember something about a painting and want to see if anyone can name it:
AskMetafilter can often help.
There is a forum on Reddit called TOMT (Tip of My Tongue). is a forum where you can ask questions about art. also has forums where people can ask questions.

If you HAVE an image and need help to figure out more about it: uses humans to look at photos and identify them uses computers to search for similar images on the web
GoogleGoggles (for various brands of smartphones) allows you to take a picture of a thing and it will search for the origin of it.

If you want to post a request and have someone CREATE a painting based on your criteria...
I don't know about paintings, but for photoshop-version of this same type of thing, look at the contests in or
posted by CathyG at 10:33 AM on January 19, 2011

« Older How do I get Firefox to auto-r...   |  Are there any safety risks to ... Newer »