Engineer the perfect, giftable tv dinner!
January 17, 2011 12:23 PM Subscribe
Fun tv dinners as a gift. I'm an experienced cook, you have some good ideas. Let's hear it!
posted by artifarce to food & drink (10 answers total) 13 users marked this as a favorite
As a thank you for my sister who does favors for me, I've decided that it'd be nice to make some tv dinners for her pretty busy lifestyle. I'm a good cook, and she's enjoyed eating at my house before, and as a special twist, I'd like to make them gourmet and fun.
I've already started browsing freezer cooking websites for recipes, and skimmed a couple previous askmefis, so I'm not as much looking for a specific recipe, but how you'd engineer the perfect tv dinner. Think presentation, not just convenience.
1. Multiple courses together would be fun, but I don't really want to mess around with making her cook too many things in multiple ways.
2. I've thought of adding single size gourmet ice cream bars/half-pints or little chocolate bars into a wrapped dinner as a surprise. Any other surprises or treats you'd want to find in your mystery dinner? Presumably it'd have to freeze well, so that probably nixes things like little cheeses.
3. Any ideas on storage other than a set of throwaway tupperware?
4. I usually buy/stock interesting ingredients and shop at ethnic groceries, so the sky's the limit.
5. I could make this a bigger present to include specialty dishware or reuseable containers, if they added to the presentation.