NO, I don't want your watering cans, shovels, or corn.

Farmville. MAKE IT STOP.

A Facebook friend is obsessed with Farmville. I'm getting daily requests for FV various & sundry from this person and they're making me crazy. I don't want to block him - just these stupid requests.

Because Facebook changes their settings and layouts every time I log in, I can't figure how to make the requests go away without making him go away. Blocking the application doesn't work.

How do I turn off these requests without blocking "Mike"?
posted by muirne81 to Computers & Internet (16 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Hover your mouse over the upper right hand corner of the notification. Select te option to block Farmville.
posted by dfriedman at 2:14 PM on January 14, 2011 [5 favorites]

There's probably an easier way to do this, but I got the greasemonkey script "Better Facebook", which includes an option to block all Farmville posts, from anyone who does Farmville.
posted by Melismata at 2:17 PM on January 14, 2011

i don't know why - but i've found blocking the app on your wall and under 'game requests" on the right hand side to be more effective.
posted by nadawi at 2:18 PM on January 14, 2011

LEFT left hand side.

I block all games that I don't play, without a problem, by doing what dfriedman said. Voila! FarmVille won't exist for you anymore. :) You can do the same thing on the FB Requests page by clicking the X and it'll give you the option to block the game.
posted by iguanapolitico at 2:22 PM on January 14, 2011

Thank you iguanapolitico! My sanity is restored.
posted by muirne81 at 2:23 PM on January 14, 2011

1) Find the Farmville application page. Just search for "Farmville", it will probably be the first thing that shows up in the autocomplete list. It'll be the one labeled "Game", with 56 hojillion monthly users.

2) Click "Block App" on the left side of the page below the logo.

Now, as far as FarmVille is concerned, you no longer exist. When your "friends" broadcast their silly notifications to everyone, you won't even appear to them as an option.

If you still get FarmVille items in your news feed after this (I'm not sure if this will block them as well) then you can click the "X" at the top right of the news item (you'll see it when you hover over the news item) and select "Hide all from FarmVille".
posted by The Lurkers Support Me in Email at 2:25 PM on January 14, 2011

... or what dfriedman/iguanapolitico said. I didn't realize they added a "Block" link to that menu.
posted by The Lurkers Support Me in Email at 2:26 PM on January 14, 2011

I have a few friends who are horrible about spamming me with whatever new facebook app they are using. If you go to your account privacy settings and block list, you can block specific friends from sending you any app invites. I find this saves me a lot of grief.
posted by Zophi at 2:54 PM on January 14, 2011 [3 favorites]

F.B. Purity is a wonderful, wonderful thing.
posted by Lucinda at 3:26 PM on January 14, 2011

My policy is the first time I get an unwanted app invitation, I block the app.

The second time, I block the user from sending app invites to me, and then I block the app.

I haven't received any unwanted app invites for many, many months.
posted by grouse at 4:21 PM on January 14, 2011

Level 2: any tips for blocking the unending stream of knock-off games before having to stomp out each one? Is there a NO FUCKING GAMES, EVER option?
/piggyback question
posted by ctmf at 5:35 PM on January 14, 2011

I block the user from sending app invites to me

Intriguing. How do you do that?
posted by ctmf at 5:36 PM on January 14, 2011

The NO GAMES EVER option is FBPurity.

The option to block a user from sending you app or event invites is in Zophi's answer.
posted by mkb at 6:26 PM on January 14, 2011

When you block a user from sending you an app or game invite, does that user get a feedback message along the lines of "Your invitation has been blocked by user-x"? I'd love to block the game invites I get from certain inlaws, but don't want to insult them, either.
posted by Thorzdad at 7:09 AM on January 15, 2011

Thorzdad, I believe they simply don't see you on the list of people they can send invites to. They won't know whether that is because you blocked the game or just them, and in most cases they won't notice at all, because they are just selecting everybody and not paying attention to who that is.
posted by grouse at 8:44 AM on January 15, 2011

« Older Help me find the really hidden Los Angeles   |   Feeling Guilty Post-Breakup Newer »