Help me fix my computer, please
January 14, 2011 11:48 AM Subscribe
What's wrong with my computer?
posted by mellifluous to computers & internet (17 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I have a PC that's about 2 or 3 years old, but until now I've never had a problem with it. All of a sudden, when I turn it on, not much happens - the light behind the power button goes on, but the fan doesn't engage, no noise or heat is produced, I can't see anything moving inside the machine, the monitor tells me "no signal," and the light at the bottom of my mouse doesn't go on when plugged into its USB slot. The only "sign of life" is the light behind the power button. What could have caused this? What's wrong with the machine? Can I fix it by buying a new part or two, or do I need to replace my computer entirely?
Things I've already tried:
- All of the power switches are in the "on" position
- The monitor cable and the power cable are in as securely as they possibly can be
- I don't see any loose parts, cables or connectors inside the computer, although I don't really know what to look for on that account, so I could be wrong
- The power outlet the computer is plugged into works (I tried plugging some other electronic devices into it, no problem)
- The monitor works (I connected it to another computer, no problem)