Where can I find a gift that combines the ideas of being a proud new US citizen and a proud Muslim?

My Muslim man friend has recently become a US citizen. Both his faith and the goal of becoming an American are very important to him. Where online can I find a congratulations gift that combines these two things? It could be art or jewelry (maybe a pendant?), or anything really. Perhaps something on which I can include the date of his ceremony.

He is Sunni, liberal and fond of man jewelry - and would probably prefer something modest. I'm looking for something under $50 that is from an English language site.

I'm flailing around the internet! Can you help focus my search?
posted by jenmakes to Shopping (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Here's a Muslim American flag.

(I googled 'Muslim American' and then chose the limiter 'Shopping.')
posted by bluedaisy at 7:22 PM on January 10, 2011

Here's a pretty cool looking ring that has the Shahada in Arabic on the outside and in English on the inside.
posted by neroli at 7:48 PM on January 10, 2011 [2 favorites]

OP here - I found this on Etsy. Does it in fact say "Allah"?

Maybe I could have the date of his citizenship engraved on the flip side...
posted by jenmakes at 8:57 PM on January 10, 2011

This varies from person to person, but some Muslims are very careful about wearing jewelry with the word "Allah" on it, because they might enter a restroom (an "unclean" place) and it's considered wrong to bring something with God's name on it into a place like that.

But as I said, that really depends on the individual.

You could probably try to find something with symbols or imagery -- such as a pendant with a moon+star combo or minarets or something. I think engraving the date of his citizenship on the back is a great idea.

Have you tried posting your request with your budget on Etsy Alchemy?
You'll probably get more creative ideas than I've been able to offer you.
posted by joyeuxamelie at 9:58 PM on January 10, 2011

Would Three Cups of Tea be an option?

It's the true story of a man who inadvertently became involved in creating schools in Pakistan and later in Afghanistan with the express purpose of educating girls in those countries.

I've given this book to a lot of people, and I have yet to find anyone who doesn't like it or admire the work being done by a mountaineer who simply took a wrong turn.
posted by zizzle at 6:32 AM on January 11, 2011

(Many of the girls are Muslim....I forgot to mention that.)

Perhaps some jewelry relating to the First Amendment (not many choices there, I'm sure)? Or, maybe the Constitution in general or the "We hold these truths to be self-evident" language from the Declaration of Independence?
posted by thewittyname at 6:56 AM on January 11, 2011

« Older Can I extract subtitles from T...   |  How do most people type here ?... Newer »