In Soviet Russia, language learns you.

What is the best russian language school for english speakers in St. Petersburg?

I'd prefer it to offer at least four levels of russian, starting from no experience. I studied a year of russian in university, but it's been so long, I'm pretty sure I should restart from scratch.

Sub-question: how difficult is it to find english-teaching positions in St. Petersburg?
posted by mnemonic to Writing & Language (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I was there eight years ago, so this may be out of date, but the Smolniy Institute was fantastic. All instruction was in Russian, which is scary, but good.

I found teaching positions very easily, but the pay was extremely low ($4 an hour, or thereabouts). But again, that was a long time ago.
posted by kitcat at 10:14 PM on January 6, 2011

Seconding kitcat's suggestion. That's the school I did my semester abroad at...in 1999. YMMV.
posted by Zoyashka at 8:28 AM on January 7, 2011

I saw this program (http://russian4foreigners.com/), which is affiliated with St.Petersburg State University. I have no personal experience it (can anyone else shed some light on this program?) but it does seem to offer flexible and tiered programs.
posted by zhang.chuck at 4:24 PM on September 8, 2011

« Older What effect will a conditional...   |  Searching for the source of th... Newer »