advice for soon to be expat in Sydney

Please give me advice for traveling to and living/working in Sydney.

Work is most very likely sending me to Sydney for possibly 3 months. I live in Chicago right now. My company will arrange for a 1 bedroom apartment in walking distance to work.

Here are some questions off the top of my head:

On the state side:

I have a house, and one of my friends will live in it while I am gone. Any advice for what I should handle before I go?

My friend will be watching my 2 cats in my house. One of them is old and could very well die. I hope not. I'm not sure what to do about that.

Traveling:

I usually pack very little, but I guess I should operate differently for this trip. What is easy to find here, but hard to find there? What should I take with me? Will my coworkers over there want any special Chicago treats? I know in the reverse direction that friends bring Tim Tams back.

Living:

I am not sure what to ask here. I've looked up a little bit already and notice that Sydney has public transportation, and I'm pretty happy about that. Is it more like a city of neighborhoods than a city of suburbs? (Chicago vs. LA)

Vacation:

I really want to visit New Caledonia because I've loved reading about New Caledonian crows over the years. It's in the same hemisphere. Have any of you ever visited there? Do you think I could meet some of the researchers who work with them and attend a talk?
posted by bleary to Travel & Transportation around Sydney, Australia (36 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Pack two-three weeks' worth of clothes in two suitcases. Fill any prescriptions. Take some favourite books. Everything else is easily findable in Sydney and with the dollar so high, if you miss anything have it shipped from Amazon.

There are American food shops in Australia (mostly for candy) but maybe you know people who are cornbread fans?

Public transport is a bit rubbish, less frequent and more indirect than Chicago. It is truly a city of suburbs.

New Caledonia is an easy trip, 3 hour flight. Very doable for a long weekend. Why write to the researchers and ask? Plenty of good accommodation either in Centre-Ville or along the beaches.
posted by wingless_angel at 1:53 PM on January 6, 2011

The inner city, eastern suburbs and inner west of Sydney are like a collection of neighbourhoods. The term the Sydney council likes to use is "City of Villages". Those areas are reasonably well served by (slow, unreliable) public transport, and you should find basic amenities like grocery stores within walking distance of your home. Beyond those regions, it's suburban sprawl all the way, and people are much more reliant on cars.

Australia has no good Mexican food, so your colleagues might enjoy some jars of good salsa if you can get them through quarantine. (Not Tabasco, we get that here). Reese's peanut butter cups and Oreos are available, but they're not easy to find and we don't get all the novelty flavours. Junior Mints are hard to find. Anything that's a regional speciality of Chicago is probably something most Australians have never tried.

Oh, and call a MeFi meetup while you're here!
posted by embrangled at 2:28 PM on January 6, 2011

Shoes are much more expensive here than in the United States, especially athletic shoes and sneakers. Don't expect to buy shoes here without wincing at the price tag: pack all the shoes you expect to need for three months.

The public transport in Sydney is nothing like Chicago, it's very much a radial system from the centre out. It does one job very well—taking people from the suburbs into the city for work hours, and back again. Some suburbs are much, much better serviced than others: if your unit is anywhere in the Eastern suburbs, the Inner West or the Lower North Shore, within about 10km of the CBD, you'll have a much easier time getting around without a car than you will further out. I've lived in the Inner West all my life and gotten around relatively easily without having to run a car. The best website for anything related to public transport is the State Government-run 131500.com.au which refers to the information phone number. It's got maps, timetables, fare information, everything.

Taxis are expensive and often hard to find in a hurry.

Buy weekly or fortnightly tickets for the trains between places you regularly go, you'll save lots of money. If you travel on buses there are also "mymetro" tickets for various distances which have 10 trips on them.

When are you coming? The weather's great at the moment, but if it's going to be later into April or May and onwards, you might be surprised by how bad the weather is. It doesn't get Chicago cold or anything like it, but buildings aren't heated or insulated very well here so you feel the cold more inside. Sydney winters are windy, stormy and very very wet.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip though, Sydney's a lovely place to live and work.
posted by Fiasco da Gama at 2:38 PM on January 6, 2011

Do people bike much there? Is it easy to find a cheap craptastic bike?
posted by bleary at 2:47 PM on January 6, 2011

Since Mexican food sucks, I could try making some. Are the basic ingredients over there? chorizo? pepeprs? different stringy cheeses?

Same deal with cornbread. I am practicing with spicy cornbread. Last week I made some and chopped up a jalepeno and a scallion and added some cayenne pepper. Mixed corn meal with some flour and middle eastern style yogurt. It turned okay, but a little bland.

I am also practicing with gumbo. Is okra easy to find? peanut oil? They must have awesome seafood, right?

With respect to Chicago foods -- one of my friends makes caramels and truffles, so I thought I might bring some. She's in Chicago, so it's Chicagoan. right? right? I think also Vosges started here?

How are you guys on coffee over there? I like Metropolitan coffee, which is roasted in Chicago. I'm not insane about coffee though I thought maybe I'd bring some. It might not be a treat? might?

dates: I was planning on very soon, as in the middle of next week and show up on the weekend and try to stay awake. fingers crossed. If there's a delay, I won't mind the cold. I love cold.
posted by bleary at 2:53 PM on January 6, 2011

hmm, I'm tempted to take some malort with me since that's in Chicago.
posted by bleary at 2:56 PM on January 6, 2011

That's very much a depends-where-you-live-and-work question. Do you know where your work will be yet?

The City of Sydney Council (which covers the CBD and immediately surrounding areas) is really getting into cycling promotion at the moment so they're establishing bike paths and corridors. In the Eastern suburbs and the Inner West, especially around Sydney Uni and UNSW, and to and from the beaches south of the harbour, there's lots of cycling, although there are also lots—lots—of hills. On the North Shore there's much less, and in the Western suburbs and in the SW and the Sutherland Shire the car is King. Sydney drivers aren't known for their tolerance or patience with cyclists, either. Many roads are narrow, so are footpaths.

It's humid here, and you'll get sweaty fast. The number of workplaces who have showers and changerooms on-site are a very small minority in my experience.

It's been a while since I've looked for one and am happy to be corrected, but a used commuter bike in good nick shouldn't be more than about $250 or so, probably less. Helmets are compulsory and go for $70-$150 new.
posted by Fiasco da Gama at 3:04 PM on January 6, 2011

Regarding food, I'd suggest you embrace the fact that there is awesome South-East Asian food in Australia - leaps and bounds ahead of anything you've probably eaten before! If you get a hankering for Mexican food though, my theory is that it is on the cusp of becoming the Next Big Thing in Australia. Melbourne is already building up a small selection of good Mexican restaurants (some of them better than others) and there is a mail-order supplier in Melbourne that will post things to you. Also check out USA Foods for anything else you can't live without.

Re. coffee: for the love of god, don't bring American coffee to our fair land! Trust me, you'll find better coffee here than you have dreamed of in your world. An Americano is called a "Long Black" here though.

Re. presents: bring crazy hot sauces! We have tabasco and choulula, but any of the others will go down a treat! Also salt water taffy!
posted by Alice Russel-Wallace at 3:11 PM on January 6, 2011

Part of the reason we don't do good Mexican food is that the ingredients are hard to find. We do get chorizo. Asian-style chillies are easy to get, habaneros might require some searching. Australia makes good cheese, but American styles are hard to find - my colleague is forever bemoaning the lack of Monterey Jack. Okra is easy to find - anything that's widely eaten in South-East Asia will be fine. There's plenty of good seafood.

You probably won't be able to get home-made baking through quarantine. Sealed packaged food is generally okay, but you should declare everything just in case. Australia takes quarantine seriously.

The coffee here is good, mostly European in style. People can be a bit snobby about it. When I think of American coffee, I think of Starbucks, or jugs of bitter filter coffee at a diner. I'm sure you also do great coffee, but it's such a basic staple here that your Australian colleagues might be a bit nonplussed if you bring some over.
posted by embrangled at 3:14 PM on January 6, 2011

My friend asked me to bring her a Tide stick when I visited in Sydney, so if you're used to having those around, you might want to bring one or two. This was a few years ago, so maybe they've got them now.
posted by backwards guitar at 3:37 PM on January 6, 2011

I think I'll be working near Chinatown, if google maps is not lying about what it is calling Chinatown.

...crazy hot sauces. you guys don't already have crazy hot sauces? some of the South Asian foods are pretty spicy. Sriricha must be available over there, no?
posted by bleary at 3:51 PM on January 6, 2011

Before you pack any foodstuffs, check What can't I take into Australia? Being an island, Australia has avoided a number of food-based pests and diseases, and quarantine is very strict about what you can and cannot bring in. They also issue fines. Not a good way to start your trip!
posted by Georgina at 4:01 PM on January 6, 2011

Yep, we get Sriracha. South-East Asian and South Asian foods are everywhere - I doubt there's anything you can bring from the US that we won't get here. We do most global cuisines pretty well - Mexican food is a weird exception. You can't easily buy tomatillos here, for example, so most people have never tried tomatillo salsa.

Those Tide sticks look great, we have stain removers of course, but I've never seen anything like that.

If you're working near Chinatown, you have one more transport option besides buses and trains: Sydney's only tram line. If you find a place in Ultimo, Pyrmont, Glebe or Lilyfield, you could take the tram to work.
posted by embrangled at 4:12 PM on January 6, 2011

Chinatown isn't officially called Chinatown in Sydney, it's called "Haymarket". If you're going to be living there and work is near there too, you'll be close to the "CBD", the Central Business District.

Everything's going to be very convenient for you, but bear in mind, that's where everyone works during the day, but it's very much not a suburb. Everyone goes home at night.

My workplace is in Chinatown, send me a message if you want to know something specific.
posted by AmbroseChapel at 4:42 PM on January 6, 2011

I dunno, I have a coffee-addicted coworker and when we recently spent three weeks in Australia for work, he was bemoaning the coffee situation. He spent most of his time at Starbucks whenever we could find one (we weren't always in a city). If you are a fan of Starbucks type stuff, stock up on them -- and maybe a proper coffee machine, with the associated adapters -- since the instant stuff seemed to be most popular and he was unhappy with that. Rather than argue over who does coffee "better" or "right", I'd just say that the Australian treatment of coffee and the American treatment of coffee appear quite different and if it's a religious issue for you, prepare for it.

Random thing: while I was there, I frequently saw PopTarts being sold for something like $5 per pack (as in, per foil-wrapped two-pack), and signs outside of candy stores advertising "We Have PopTarts!". If you think you'll miss PopTarts, bring some for yourself, and bring extras for new Aussie friends that might want them.
posted by olinerd at 5:14 PM on January 6, 2011

You can get Junior Mints and Tide sticks in Sydney (although I think it's not Tide, it's another laundry detergent... but I'm sure I saw these in Coles last week!), but the Oreos you get here are Just Not Right. Only ex-North Americans will notice, I imagine.

If you're coming soon, I know someone who needs to get rid of a bike in the next month-ish. (And also a bed, but that has to happen in the next week!)

Be prepared for not only shoes, but EVERYTHING to be a lot more expensive than you're used to. Clothing sizes are also different here.

Coffee here is always espresso. It depends how you feel about coffee... some people love this, others (me!) hate it.

I'm Canadian and have been living in Sydney for just under two years. Happy to answer any questions if you like!
posted by equivocator at 5:35 PM on January 6, 2011

About how much is typical to spend on groceries a week?

I found http://www.international.mq.edu.au/macquarie/sydney/livingcosts

Are the food costs current?
posted by bleary at 6:00 PM on January 6, 2011

What a great opportunity! Sydney is a great town to play in. There is always something on.

What to bring: Everything! I'm normally an advocate for packing light, but the Aussie dollar is strong at the moment, so everything, except maybe Kangaroo and Tim Tams will be cheaper if you buy it in the US. Really use that 64kg baggage allowance.

The City: I find Sydney friendly but cliquey. Everyone is outgoing and open, but it can be hard to get past the facade. You'll probably end up hanging out with other imports. I've been here for seven years, and very few of my friends are from here originally. The greater metro area divides into fairly distinct regions. This thread has lots of useful sydney basics info. Unless you like the beach or want to do some weekend trips out of town (totally recommended) you'll probably spend the bulk of your time in the city, inner west and the eastern suburbs. There is more than enough to do.

Cycling: Sydney is not good for cycling. The combination of terrible roads, aggressive driving and big fuck-off hills make it hard work. Most of the cyclists in sydney do it for sport, not for transport. However, public transport + bike can get you just about anywhere in Greater Sydney, and the City of Sydney (where you'll be) has recently put a lot of money into cycle paths and education, so if you're already a reasonably confident cyclist it's a great option. Route choice is key, so there are lots of maps out there if you know where to look. If you already have a bike you like, I would suggest bring it with you if you can. You can get secondhand bikes, gumtree, ebay and the Mitchell Street Auctions were where I looked, but you have to get lucky, and you may need to travel a long way to pick it up. If you do buy one, and it needs fixing, you can go here for parts, tools and help. They say they can help you find a secondhand one too. Any other questions about cycling in Australia can be asked here and here.
posted by kjs4 at 6:15 PM on January 6, 2011

The prices on that page are about right if on the low side (though living in Sydney on $18,000 a year sounds like a great way to starve).

If you're going to be based in Haymarket you've got two of the outstanding fresh food sites in Sydney within walking distance: the vegetable market underneath Paddy's Markets and the Fish Market. In Haymarket itself there are some very good Asian groceries, to say nothing of the food courts and restaurants.

Don't do grocery shopping though at any of the supermarkets (Coles, Bi-Lo, Harris Farm etc.) in the CBD, there's a thirty or forty percent markup on everything. If you just catch a bus up to the Broadway shopping centre ten minutes away the prices are significantly lower.
posted by Fiasco da Gama at 6:29 PM on January 6, 2011

Well seeing as you're located in chinatown, there's tons of cheap high quality south easian food in your immediate surroundings.

Best laksa ever: Happy Chef restaurant on the top floor of the Sussex Centre in Chinatown.
posted by singingfish at 6:35 PM on January 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

Things in Australia cost more than in the States. I've heard complaints about how expensive it is there from people who've lived in Tokyo! Take a proper supply of products you use on a regular basis as you might have to pay up to 3 times more or find the Australian equivalent, which to some people, isn't the same (if you can find it).

Customs is really strict about things you can bring in so make sure to cross reference the link mentioned by previous poster. Also, I hope your work is offsetting the higher cost of living by providing you a per diem or something. Eating out can be expensive unless you are eating at cheap joints and in general, things just cost more there.

Have a great experience and enjoy your time there. It's beautiful and bountiful and no worries mate!
posted by loquat at 7:04 PM on January 6, 2011

I just found this while googling to see if I could find a cost of living comparison between Sydney and Chicago
numbeo Sydney vs Chicago

Some of the prices are on the low side for Chicago, but not completely out of wack.
posted by bleary at 7:04 PM on January 6, 2011

Coffee is a strange beast in Australia. Good coffee (ie. not instant) is a relatively new occurrance, but has been embraced with enthusiasm and obsession. Espresso is ubiquitous in cities, though can be hard to find in country areas. The quality varies, but it's rarely undrinkable. We prefer it less bitter than in the US, which is why starbucks didn't go so well here, and you might find that odd.

Getting offered coffee at someones house can be risky though. You might get instant, plunger is pretty common, and some people have espresso machines. Dripolater is pretty rare; if you're place is furnished it will come with a kettle, not a coffee machine. Tea is of much older tradition, and is consistantly good in a british sort of a way.
posted by kjs4 at 7:21 PM on January 6, 2011

fwiw I think Starbucks and related chains roast their beans on the bitter side.

mr bleary uses a french press at home.

I also like tea. at work (chicago office) I have a small teapot with a big strainer that sits inside.

I probably won't pack those.
posted by bleary at 8:43 PM on January 6, 2011

If you're a coke addict (and by that I mean the liquid kind that comes in a can!) like me, you'll take three or four weeks to adapt. Our stuff != your stuff. I like ours better, but only until I've been in the States long enough to acclimatise to yours, and then I like yours better. But only until I've been home long enough to ... you get the idea.

My main recommendation would be to NOT try to eat/drink how you do at home. The first time I lived in the US I tried to keep all my old eating habits, and went home bemoaning the lack of good food stateside. The second time I lived there, I threw myself at every kind of food I could find, and enjoyed plenty of it.

I still like our food better though. I prefer the Asian influence to the Mexican one, but that's probably just my upbringing talking.

Once you get here, make sure you leave one weekend to take a trip out into the country. Eat at a country pub and talk to some locals out there. Our "rednecks" tend to be really friendly, hilarious people, especially the old blokes. (They're a bit racist usually too, but you just have to sorta forgive them for that and take heart in the fact that most of their kids are a bit more worldly than them, and that the racism is dying out). Maybe even consider a 4-5 day tour with Adventure Tours or someone like that to get right out into the Outback. I love it out there. Unless you've trekked up to the Canadian tundra, you've never been to a place with so few people.
posted by autocol at 9:42 PM on January 6, 2011

It's three months. You're not going to have nearly enough time to worry about anything. Just come, and have it all be a lovely, occasionally wallet-shocking surprise.
posted by obiwanwasabi at 10:31 PM on January 6, 2011

Living in Haymarket, you'll have tons of cheap and tasty food on your doorstep. You could eat out at a different place every night your entire stay and not double up. Australia has great Thai food (rare in the US in my experience) and also Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.

Seafood is wonderfully fresh in Sydney, and if you like Japanese, the sushi is pretty good. I like Sushi Rio on the edge of Haymarket and Makoto in Chatswood, both of which are sushi bars with tons of variety. Watch out for the sushi roll stands that have sprung up everywhere, though -- a lot of them make the rolls at a central location and then ship to the stores, and the rice can be really chewy. Only buy sushi rolls at stores where you can watch them making it fresh.

Although the CBD can be a bit dull (it's fairly dead on weeknights), it's a great hub for you to go exploring. Most of the fun parts of Sydney will be within half an hour's travel -- Glebe; Oxford Street, Darlinghurst; The Rocks; the beaches (Bondi if you want to be traditional, or try Bronte for a more mellow vibe). You can also walk or bus or train it down to Circular Quay and hop a ferry to Taronga Zoo (it's awesome) or even go up the Parramatta river. And I'm sure if they still run them, but Sydney Ferries used to do one hour harbour cruises that were much cheaper than those offered by private companies. Also fun to do, if you feel like being touristy: climb the Harbour Bridge and take a tour of the Opera House. The Botanical Gardens are right next door and perfect for a wander.

If you let us know the kinds of things you're into, I'm sure we can come up with more suggestions. Enjoy your trip!
posted by Georgina at 11:52 PM on January 6, 2011

There are two good Mexican restaurants in Sydney (not as good as say, Guerro's in Austin, but what is?): Flying Fajita Sisters (Glebe, very close to Chinatown) and Izote Mexican (Newtown, one suburb away). Don't bother with anywhere else.

There is only one good US-style restaurant in the whole city (serving Cajun etc) but in 3 months, I would just eat Chinatown all the time.

I used to cycle from Newtown to Chinatown for work. After living in the Netherlands, it was not a stress-free experience. Too many wankers in fancy lycra overtaking me all the time. I cycle the Dutch way: slowly, which means you CAN wear your work outfit on the bike and not be dreadfully sweaty afterwards.

You will find supermarkets more expensive than Chicago.
posted by wingless_angel at 12:38 AM on January 7, 2011

The grocery price estimates on both the Macquarie site and Numbeo seem a little on the low side. On the other hand, you can eat at a cheap (usually Asian) restaurant for under $10. Also, wow, $25 for a pair jeans?! That's...mindblowingly cheap. If you need new jeans, buy them before you get here.

I've been logging my expenses lately, so here are a few recent purchases to give you an idea of what things cost:

At the Paddy's fruit and vegetable market: 2 bunches gai lan, shitake mushrooms, enoki mushrooms, 1 mango, 3 bananas, 5 tomatoes, shallots, 2 red capsicums, tofu - $18.90

At Coles Broadway: 4 cans tomato paste, 5 nectarines, 5 tomatoes, 2 panini, 2 packets dried pineapple - $14.76

Ten steamed dumpsings at a basic restaurant in Chinatown - $8

One adult movie ticket at an inner-city, non-arthouse cinema: $18

One single-zone 10-trip bus ticket: $16

I just re-read your question an realised you have accommodation near your work, so do ignore my advice about finding a place near the tram line. Sorry!
posted by embrangled at 12:53 AM on January 7, 2011

> Things in Australia cost more than in the States. I've heard complaints about how expensive it is there from people who've lived in Tokyo!

Slight derail, but, more detail please? Which things were complained about exactly?
posted by AmbroseChapel at 3:28 AM on January 7, 2011

If you are the other kind of coke addict, that too is a lot more expensive in Australia. Perhaps don't stock up though.

Sydney tends a little more toward outdoorsy activities than cultural ones (or just hanging out trying to look fabulous), but I'm sure you'll find everything you are into.
posted by Trivia Newton John at 4:11 AM on January 7, 2011

I just want to say that Sydney has a serious coffee culture, much more than many cities in the US. There is a Starbucks, but it isn't as popular as the myriad of cafes all around the city. Coffee is espresso based, so if you usually go for drip, order an Americano (or a long-black, as it is called in Oz).

Most popular seemed to be flat-white, which is similar to a latte. Coffee tends to be more on the side of Italian espresso than US espresso (milder, less bitter, full-bodied). There are so many independent cafes, it's really worth working your way down a block to find the place that you like the best.

One of the best place to eat in the CBD is the Haymarket Chinese restaurant. Not far south from Haymarket in Surry Hills is Crown St, which has a large selection of international cuisine. It's worth going down to Erciyes on a weekend morning just for the incredible Turkish bread called Pide (pronounced "pita").

One thing about living in Sydney is that what the US tends to call neighbourhoods, Sydney calls suburbs. So there are countless suburbs within the city of Sydney. If you are working in Haymarket, some great suburbs to live are Surry Hills, Darlinghurst, Ultimo, and Glebe. Personally I would not want to live near George Street, as it is quite touristy.

As far as the older cat, you may want to consider leaving your friend with an emergency fund for vet visits.

Have fun. Sydney is one of the best cities in the world and you'll have a great time.
posted by qwip at 7:19 AM on January 7, 2011

My spouse got on my case about the stipend I'm will get while we live here, so I wanted to make sure the cost of living wasn't so ridiculous that we'd starve. I hadn't worried about it until he said that an acquaintance told him that her son was getting what I think sounds like a ludicrously huge stipend along with rent. Rent at 10K a month in Perth? wtf, does the guy live in a mansion? 1 bedroom apartments in Sydney seem within normal bounds for an expensive city in the US.

re food, don't derail thinking I eat bland food all the time. I live in Albany Park in Chicago. We have an amazing variety of food here since it is one of the most diverse places in the US. The reason I've focused on cost of food as well as available is that it would be one of the main living expenses that I can control and budget for. I want to eat out less, buy cheap food, save up for going on trips since the area seems nice.

and, I can be very picky about food and coffee but I hate being a snob. I only get picky when I am on my own or have the choice. It would be rude to impose on friends. If someone wants to social at Starbucks and it would be inconvenient I'm not going to go into a tizzy that they aren't catering to my taste. On my own I'll go through freezing sleet to get a nice espresso if I want one.

Oh, very nice thing about Sydney seems that they have very mild winters and summers compared to Chicago.

re cat: yeah, I am thinking of letting my vet know that I'll be away and ask if they will be willing to charge my credit card even if I have a friend bring in the cat. If not, I will leave funds for the friend. I'm also thinking of seeing if the pet food place near me will charge my card for me and allow my friend to pick up the food.

re house: still anxious about that. what if something breaks, the basement floods, etc? It's not like my friend is helpless, but on the other hand I would like to make things run smoothly. I asked work if they have a logisticsy person who can link up my friend to resources for me while I'm away, but they don't.
posted by bleary at 9:02 AM on January 7, 2011

activities:

I'm a quiet person, and tend to enjoy going places where I can read or just sit and watch things. Or walk. I enjoy thinking, and a lot of the time here I enjoy walking around, thinking, or just observing whatever catches my attention. for example, at one of the el stop, the rotating metal door will sometimes have a tone, similar to a metal prayer bowl. So then I notice every day whether it has the tone still, and speculate why it does or doesn't. Or maybe the bridge I'm walking over on the way to work has a different noise lately. why?

Or maybe the buildings have interesting features. I will wonder if those have been there forever or if they still make those types of bricks today.

I like to go with the flow and watch people. For example, maybe people in Sydney walk at a different pace than in Chicago. Maybe people have different walking etiquette.

Hopefully people are gregarious because I am introverted and quiet but that doesn't mean I don't like meeting people and talking to them. But I do have a hard time breaking in to a conversation. Fortunately my spouse is extroverted and talks a blue streak.

From what people have been saying, the city is interesting, I will enjoy walking around in it, I will enjoy making trips outside of the city, and if I manage it, can visit nearby countries easily.

Ps. I also noticed that there are user groups, like slug, Sydney Linux User Group, so I will probably go to a meeting. I enjoy those things here.
posted by bleary at 9:10 AM on January 7, 2011

Thanks for the discussion. I've marked this as resolved, but I'm not sure I can pick a favorite answer since I would end up marking most everything as favorites.
posted by bleary at 9:13 AM on January 7, 2011

I found out yesterday that my trip has been delayed. :(
posted by bleary at 9:42 AM on January 8, 2011

« Older Can you think of some common e...   |  Hacking Whole Foods: Give me y... Newer »