Can I fix this error?

I'm seeing this error when I try to navigate to a website I use often for scheduling: "Application error (Rails)" - What does it mean and can I fix it?

Is it something on my end, or is the website down? I can't even navigate to the main page of the site, so I'm not sure how to even tell the site I'm having this issue. I need to have access to this app for some work I'm doing. Help!
posted by rainydayfilms to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

The website uses Ruby on Rails. It's an error on the backend. If you only get it under certain circumstances you might want to report the bug to them.
posted by floam at 12:25 PM on January 1, 2011

To get good contact information for most websites, you can do a whois lookup.
posted by floam at 12:26 PM on January 1, 2011

Sorry that I'm dense about what you mean. It's been happening every time I navigate there for the last two days. I think "error on the backend" means an issue with them, not me? I also heard that another person had the same error from two different computers.
posted by rainydayfilms at 1:34 PM on January 1, 2011

Yes, the "back end" means, broadly "the computer which is supposed to create the page and send it to your computer". The problem is with them.

All web page interaction basically goes like this:

Your computer: can I see this page please?
Their computer (after a brief pause): here you go.

The magic happens in that brief pause, and in this case, it's failing. There's nothing you can do except let them know.
posted by AmbroseChapel at 1:59 PM on January 1, 2011

expanding 'let them know':

1. See if there is some 'contact us' / 'report a bug' / 'in case of emergency, break glass' info. if yes... go to step 2!

2. Unless they ask for something else, tell them
a. the exact url (the thingy in the bar, like: "http://ask.metafilter.com/174526/Can-I-fix-this-error"),
b. paste in the error text,
c. what you were trying to do
d. your browser info (Safari on IPad, Firefox 3 on Windows XP, etc.)

3. Hope they fix it!
posted by gregglind at 2:04 PM on January 1, 2011

Thank you! It seems to be fixed, though there was no response to my email letting them know.
posted by rainydayfilms at 10:07 PM on January 3, 2011

« Older My mother-in-law's old DVD pla...   |  Should I move on or stay???... Newer »