Help me identify an acoustic guitar

Help me identify an acoustic guitar

I'm looking to buy an acoustic guitar, this is a bit of a two part question

The first is can anyone identify this guitar (long shot I know)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radio1interactive/5078154754/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wayne_john_fox/4810172733/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wayne_john_fox/4810792150/

Secondly i'm looking for an acoustic, i'm looking to spend around £200 or less, i'm based in the UK, can anyone recommend any good makes/models I should be looking at?
posted by rinsemedown to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (12 answers total)

Looks like a Taylor.
posted by greasy_skillet at 2:27 PM on December 29, 2010

It's a Lowden. Unfortunately, they're a lot more than 200 pounds.
posted by umbú at 2:33 PM on December 29, 2010

Actually I take that back, it has the wrong shape pickguard. The headstock is what made me say that.
posted by greasy_skillet at 2:33 PM on December 29, 2010

Yeah, I figure that would be more than £200, just curious as to what it is really!
posted by rinsemedown at 2:35 PM on December 29, 2010

Dean make very singular, attractive acoustics that are fairly affordable. Never played one but they look the part.
posted by fire&wings at 3:34 PM on December 29, 2010

I own a Seagull - don't know if you can get it in the UK. I played a bunch of instruments in its price range (about the same as yours) and found that this it had by far the best tone, but I spent more to get it properly set up by a luthier.
posted by plinth at 5:41 PM on December 29, 2010

A few suggestions on buying an acoustic guitar:

First, you can't really do anything to change the sound once you buy it, so buy the best sounding one you can afford. With an electric guitar, you can buy a cheap guitar and later make improvements. Not so with an acoustic. I would strongly suggest in that price range looking at used instruments if possible, since you will be getting more bang for your buck

When you try it out (never ever order an acoustic guitar online, always listen and play it in person before buying), bring along someone else who plays guitar. You sit and play until you find a few that you think you like, and then have your friend play those few while you stand and listen about 6-10 feet away. The sound of an acoustic guitar is different out a little ways, and you want to make sure that it sounds good to you both when you are playing and to the audience. If you do a lot of performing, err on the side of one that sounds good at a distance rather than one that sounds good to you when playing.

If you don't know what you are looking for in an acoustic guitar sound, start by figuring out what type of music you want to play, and than go to a shop that has people working there who like that type of music. If you want to play bluegrass or jazz, don't go to a shop where they blast heavy metal music. Since you can't really do much of anything to change the tone later on, you want to get one with the right tonal range from the beginning. You can't make a warm and deep sounding acoustic become jangly and twangy later on.

Lastly, since you have a limited budget, I would suggest avoiding anything with built in electronics. You can add in a pickup later on if needed, but you want all of your money going towards something that feels good and sounds good, and nothing else. I've seen too many of my friends in the past buy a guitar with a fancy pickup and preamp, only to never plug the guitar into a PA. They could have spent their money buying something that sounded better.
posted by markblasco at 7:13 PM on December 29, 2010

Secondly i'm looking for an acoustic,

greasy_skillet mentions Taylor, and I highly recommend them, especially considering your price range. Taylor's lower end models sound great, have great resonance and tone. Some disparage them for their compound necks, but I've played them and think they're beautiful.

Another tack to take though, is to just visit some shops and play various guitars. All of my acoustic guitars have been hand-me-downs so I've never picked my own. If I was to pick my own, I wouldn't really be thinking much about make or model as much as finding the right fit for me. Good luck!
posted by snsranch at 7:54 PM on December 29, 2010

The key to finding a guitar, as others have said, is to play it in person. However, even among a single model, there are better and worse sounding guitars. Sometimes a guitar is just a dud, even in an otherwise good line. This makes it extra super important to play it in person, and multiples of the same model if the shop has them.
posted by zug at 10:50 PM on December 29, 2010

Since no one had ID'd that particular guitar yet, I'd suggest just contacting the band via email or Facebook and asking. If I know guitarists (and believe me, I know a *lot* of guitarists!) the one thing they love to talk about is their guitars!
posted by platinum at 12:00 AM on December 30, 2010

If you want specifics, I'm positive it's a Lowden, and it looks like an O-25 model with a Cedar soundboard and no cutaway. It's a little beat up--it may have been refinished.
posted by umbú at 1:49 PM on December 30, 2010

Wow, thanks for all the help!

Yeah obviously i'm going to try a few in shops, I just wanted to know any makes I should be looking out for or avoiding. I'll certainly look in Taylor guitars and i've almost always bought second hand electric guitars and they have always worked out great for me, so i'll look in to that to.

posted by rinsemedown at 10:46 AM on December 31, 2010

« Older Have you ever painted interior...   |  I've been using a Mac Mini plu... Newer »