Home phone recommendations?
December 24, 2010 11:07 AM Subscribe
Please recommend a good landline phone system for our home + home office.
posted by mosk to technology (2 answers total)
Our old Panasonic landline phone is dying (we're on our second or third set of batteries), and I'd like to take advantage of the after-Christmas sales and get something good in its place. Mrs. Mosk uses the phone a LOT for business, and I'm tired of seeing her frustrated by this phone's poor battery life and middle-of-the-road feature set. We live in a hilly area, so we need a landline as well as our cells as cell coverage isn't great where we live (thanks, AT&T!)
- must have at least two handsets, with some expansion capability for more, though I suppose this is sort of the standard these days
- must have excellent (!!!) battery life. Mrs. Mosk works from home 3 or 4 days per week and is on the phone most of that time. Multiple handsets and/or swappable batteries are a must.
- Bluetooth capabilities would be nice (I don't know if this is a standard feature these days). Alternatively, we might just get her a dedicated, office quality Plantronics BT or wireless headset, or something similar from another manufacturer. This is a case where I'd rather buy her something really good than put up with something mediocre, but if a phone is otherwise excellent we can work around a poor stock headset (or none at all)
- must have some answering machine capability (standard feature, probably?)
- must have speaker phone capability (full duplex would be great, half duplex is probably standard and OK)
Price range: under $300-ish? Price is not my main consideration for this, and I don't mind paying a more for a really good solution. A quick glance shows lots of phones in the $100-$140 range, so I'm not too worried about cost. I want to avoid junk.
Thanks! Recommend away :-)