I want warm feets!

Marmoleum Click + Electric Radiant Floor Heat = ?

I am considering ripping up the old flooring in my house and installing electric radiant floor heat with Marmoleum Click on top.

I realize this is not the ideal flooring for radiant heat, but I don't particularly want tile in my entire house.

Currently, my bathroom and kitchen have radiant heating and I love it (installed by previous owners).

It would primarily be used as supplemental heating to my central forced air heat--warm feet are fun!

My questions are:

1)Has anyone specifically used Marmoleum with the electric radiant heating? If so, how did it turn out? Does it heat up well?

2) Any brand suggestions regarding the heating elements? I'd like to avoid having to do a cement install, and am leaning more towards something like this.

3) And a sidebar question: What's the usual life for the electric heating elements? I can't seem to find that answer on the interwebs.

(Would be installed over standard plywood subfloor above a crawl space. I live in the Seattle area if it matters.)

Thanks much!
posted by Zoyashka to Home & Garden (1 answer total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I installed radiant heat in my house a year ago.

I wish I'd known about this particular product, because the thinset/cement install is a pain in the tail.

If you're really concerned, call up one of their installers in your area and ask about their experience with it. They should have an idea about how well it works and how happy their customers were. Even if it was a wood floor install, it should give you an idea of what to expect.

Marmoleum isn't going to be the best conductor of heat compared to stone tile, but it's probably similar to the wood they show in the picture (or maybe even better). The product describes itself as being good for wood, etc, so I suspect the insulation component of the aluminum tiles is one of their selling points. If the Marmoleum is a better conductor of heat than their product which is designed to be an insulator, everything should work just fine.

I used NuHeat's cables/thermostat and found them to be just fine. The only part that didn't make sense intuitively was wiring the thermostat, but it's probably because I'd never wired a 240V circuit before. The installation instructions were suitable for an electrician, but an advanced DIYer like me needed to consult my electrician uncle over the phone before I could make a go of it.

One thing I didn't consider before installing the radiant floor heaters is where to put the temperature sensor. That made the biggest impact on where I put the thermostat (technically my thermostat is in a different room than it heats).

I'm not sure how a temp probe would work in the case of an install w/o thinset or mortar, but I'm sure the manufacturer of the plates has an idea (something to look at in the install guide before you start).

Overall, I'd give it a go. It looks like what you'll save on the install in time (yours or a contractor's) is going to be well worth it.
posted by desl at 11:59 AM on December 17, 2010

« Older How can I migrate my wife's di...   |  I'd like to set up a (small) g... Newer »