I probably have several plates of beans. What do I do with them all?

I have a bunch of extra cooked kidney beans (I cooked more than I needed for a soup I was making). I estimate I have somewhere between 3 and 5 cups of cooked beans. What should I do with the extra beans? (Besides overthinking them, of course.)
posted by ocherdraco to Food & Drink (27 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

I should note that I don't have enough of the ingredients for the soup I made to just make another batch.
posted by ocherdraco at 6:51 PM on December 16, 2010

Chili? Brown a pound of ground beef, throw in a package of chili powder, some red pepper flakes to taste, one medium diced onion, one diced green pepper, three cups of water, 1/3 cup ketchup, two cans of diced tomatoes (28 oz total) your beans. cook for 25 minutes... serve over a half bowl of pasta (elbows, bowties, whatever you've got around)...
posted by HuronBob at 6:54 PM on December 16, 2010

Freeze them for later? Sauté them with an onion and make burritos?
posted by ChrisHartley at 6:54 PM on December 16, 2010

Ack, should also note that any suggestions need to be VEGAN.
posted by ocherdraco at 6:54 PM on December 16, 2010

Curry, then. Vegan, and it needs 3 cups of kidney beans. You can scale up and freeze it, I bet.
posted by punchtothehead at 6:56 PM on December 16, 2010

Vegan Chili!

A little bit (or a lot) of ground meat substitute or chickpeas. A finely chopped onion A can of tomatoes. A packet of chili season mix. Whatever else you like in your chili. Burble (I believe the technical term is "simmer") together for at least an hour. Freeze for later or serve now with sour cream and cheddar cheese.

I like my chili over rice, but that's just a personal preference, not fighting words.
posted by bilabial at 6:56 PM on December 16, 2010

You can make chili with beans alone if you aren't from Texas, and it keeps better than my suggestion: 3-bean salad (which would make you go out to buy more beans, I guess)

You could do some baked beans too.
posted by mkb at 6:57 PM on December 16, 2010

Make a "3 bean" salad like this one, but make it with just the kidney beans. Or add in a single can of another kind for variety. Whatever. It's especially good after it sits in the dressing for a day. (After about 3 days, though, it gets kinda yicky.)
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 6:58 PM on December 16, 2010

There are a lot of Persian recipes that involve kidney beans. Here's a vegan option.
posted by thehmsbeagle at 6:59 PM on December 16, 2010

Curry. Delicious vegan curry can be had easily. Creaminess is provided by coconut milk.

Recipe 1
Recipe 2 (sub the yogurt with coconut milk or whatever you use as yogurt substitute)
posted by jadepearl at 7:02 PM on December 16, 2010

Yeah, just make "Freak Soup" as it's known in my house. That is, just take whatever the heck you have lying around and throw it in a pot! Last time I made this I had some frozen mushroom broth in the freezer, added some water and threw in some basmati rice and the rind of parmesean, a bay leaf or two, cooked until tender and then put in peas, corn, and pinto beans and seasoned to taste. No lie, it looked so messed up but I still dream about how delicious it was!
posted by two lights above the sea at 7:03 PM on December 16, 2010

Make cornbread. Eat with beans for lunch.
posted by hishtafel at 7:12 PM on December 16, 2010 [1 favorite]

Freeze them for later. Then, some cold night you don't know what to make for dinner, you can make (my version of) my family's authentic Cajun red beans and rice recipe:

Ingredients:
beans - a can of beans has 15 or so ounces, so let's say this recipe calls for 2 cups.
1 bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, also diced
2 or 3 celery...branches(???), sliced thin
a few cloves of garlic, minced
vegetable oil*
2 bay leaves
cajun spices to taste
sausage*
rice

Sautee bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic in vegetable oil until the onions are translucent. Add beans, bay leaf, and spices (I like cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt and will sometimes freestyle some other things like oregano, garam masala, or really whatever I have on hand that sounds good; you can also use a mix like Tony Chachere's). Cook until it looks yummy and the beans are a nice texture. If you like your beans creamy/saucy instead of discrete and bean-shaped, mush some beans against the side of the pot with a big spoon.

Make rice however you typically make rice. Apply beans to rice. Add a bit of hot sauce if you like it that way. Bon Appetit!

Optional: pan fry some sausage, slice into bite-sized pieces, and add to the dish. Andouille is traditional, I suppose, though my mom always used kielbasa, randomly enough.

*I adapted the family recipe to be compatible with vegetarianism. However, if you want to be more traditional you can start with bacon, chopped ham, or any other pork which will render out some fat to sautee the vegetables in. You can also add a ham bone if you like.
posted by Sara C. at 7:14 PM on December 16, 2010

Durrrr, missed the part where you want vegan. So eliminate all my mentions of pork fat and sausage and just do the vegetables in vegetable oil. My Cajun ancestors are rolling in their graves over this, but red beans and rice is basically vegan as long as you don't use pork fat as the base.
posted by Sara C. at 7:16 PM on December 16, 2010

saute some chopped bell peppers, onions, and garlic and toss with the beans. season with cayenne, salt, pepper, and cumin. now you have filling for bean tacos or enchiladas or quesadillas (with vegan queso).
posted by thinkingwoman at 7:17 PM on December 16, 2010

Mom always made this recipe with canned beans, but your cooked beans would be tasty in this recipe:

Kidney Bean Salad (serves 6)

1/3 cup salad oil
1/3 cup tarragon vinegar
2 Tablespoons (scant) prepared mustard (Mom used dijon mustard, like Grey Poupon)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 15 oz. cans red kidney beans
2 cups rings of sliced red onion (about 1 medium onion)
1/2 cup cucumber slices, quartered (or to taste)

Blend together salad oil, tarragon vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. If using canned beans, drain and rinse kidney beans under cold water; drain again. Toss beans together in a large bowl with rings of onion and cucumber slices. Pour the dressing over this and toss well. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour - tossing occasionally. Serve garnished with watercress, if desired.
posted by gudrun at 7:21 PM on December 16, 2010

I just eat them. In salad, wrapped in a tortilla with some cheese and sour cream (both can be soy for your purposes), or topped with salt in a bowl with a spoon. They're delicious. No need to get much more complicated than that.
posted by decathecting at 7:29 PM on December 16, 2010

Some diced red onion, parsley, with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a little shaved parmesan is a divine little salad.
posted by munchingzombie at 7:38 PM on December 16, 2010

Well, even if you season them differently, you can only eat so many kidney beans in the same week or month. Definitely freeze them.

If you want to make some handy food and then freeze _that_, chili's a great candidate, good winter food, and easy to make vegan. You might even enjoy adding some TVP.
posted by amtho at 7:48 PM on December 16, 2010

You could always just make some refried beans out of them. I know most people use pinto beans but other beans work too. Also the suggestions for red bean curry sound damn delicious, I'm going to have to try that one out.
posted by MaryDellamorte at 7:54 PM on December 16, 2010

Hummus can be made with kidney beans.
posted by foursentences at 7:58 PM on December 16, 2010 [1 favorite]

MeFi's own Chuck Taggart has a pretty good recipe for the Georgian kidney bean preparation lobio on his website. I've never put the feta in it (always had some other soft cheese as another dish on the table). The number of green herbs in his recipe is right, but it tastes good when you use whatever greenery you happen to have at hand (sorrel is particularly tasty in this, and thyme or marjoram too). I like to eat lobio spooned/smashed over slices of crusty bread with a drizzle of strong olive oil.
posted by Prince_of_Cups at 9:39 PM on December 16, 2010

Rajma
posted by bardophile at 10:35 PM on December 16, 2010

What about refried beans? You can make a vegan version subbing oil for lard. I know a lot of recipes call for pinto beans, but frankly I believe that authentic peasant people use up their damn leftovers without quibbling.
posted by i_am_joe's_spleen at 12:55 AM on December 17, 2010

Here in New England we'd use them to make baked beans: the traditional recipes call for meat, but you can find plenty of meatless recipes for them.

Bean dip is yummy, too, and usually made with kidney beans

And I love beans on a salad, kidney beans and craisins on a bed of leafy greens looks gorgeous and tastes great.
posted by Ranindaripley at 4:43 AM on December 17, 2010

My favorite way to eat beans is to put a bunch in a baking dish (I use a can or two), add 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper and then bake at any temp between 300-400 (while other stuff is baking) until the beans on top are just a little chewy and the beans on the bottom are super soft... anywhere from 30 mins to an hour.
posted by TheClonusHorror at 5:20 AM on December 17, 2010

So many awesome dishes, but I think this is what I'm going to do. Thanks, folks!
posted by ocherdraco at 5:48 AM on December 17, 2010

« Older BART/caltrain filter: Where w...   |  I just updated my 3Gs iPhone l... Newer »