European telecom regulation, how does it work?

Urgently searching for a primer on and brief history of telecom regulation the EU.

I'm finishing up a term paper (on net neutrality) and am looking for a simple rundown of how telecom is regulated in the EU and a history of how this has changed since, say the early 2000s or so. Does such an article (I have access to a pretty decent variety of academic journals online, through sources like Westlaw, Lexis, Hein, JSTOR, etc.) or website exist? I have a gathered a lot of detailed information on very recent proposals and changes to the regulatory scheme, but I can't seem to get any clear information with sufficient background for a non-European for me to place this in context. I just need a basic understanding of the framework and how it evolved prior to the new set of rules developed from 2007-2009 and set down in 2009 (I've got a decent understanding of the newer regs). I could probably leave this information out, but it would definitely better if I could include something like this and have worn myself out looking for something that doesn't leave out a ton of background (for example, just jumping into a discussion on SMP without saying how it actually was enforced).

If anyone has any suggestions for reading (in English), I'd be extremely grateful.
posted by elpea to Law & Government (2 answers total)

Since you did not mention it, did you look in the EU website? EU portals are labyrinthine but they archive a lot of older reports.
posted by elgilito at 3:44 AM on December 17, 2010

What about trade press? I'm sure there is a publication or two dedicated to pan-european telecoms and they may have a nice big feature. It's also the sort of thing the Financial Times, and probably the Wall St Journal Europe edition, covers quite closely. lexis etc has these sources.
posted by 8k at 3:12 AM on December 18, 2010

« Older I live in Los Angeles and have...   |  What kind of wood flooring sho... Newer »