Egg-and-cheese bagels, it's not you. It's me.
December 15, 2010 1:41 PM Subscribe
I need healthy grab-and-go breakfast ideas.
posted by ixohoxi to Food & Drink (25 answers total) 51 users marked this as a favorite
Scrounging up a healthy lunch and dinner isn't too hard when I put my mind to it, but workday breakfasts are another story.
Had I my druthers, I'd sit down and enjoy a nice bowl of steel-cut oats and some yogurt with fruit. But even if it weren't for the preparation time, I don't really want to get up 15-20 minutes earlier to eat breakfast at home. So I usually grab an egg-and-cheese sandwich and a coffee on my way to work, and eat in the car.
So: what healthier options could I bring from home to eat in the car? Fresh fruit is obviously a great choice, but what can I round that out with?
- Must be convenient for eating while driving - e.g., nothing that requires a spoon.
- I don't mind making something ahead of time, as long as it will keep for several days, and requires very little last-minute prep before eating. (Popping something in the microwave for a minute is fine. Anything more involved than that is not.)
- No pre-manufactured bars. (Homemade bars of some kind would be enthusiastically considered, if you have a good recipe.)
- I'm (more or less) a vegetarian.
- Bonus points if it contains whole grains and/or some protein.
- If it matters, I'm planning to start an exercise program which involves some time on the treadmill first thing every morning. So I'll be eating this stuff shortly after doing that. I don't know nothin' about the technical fitness/nutrition biology that some people get into, but if you do - and can recommend something you think would be good for this situation - then by all means fire away.