What should I do with my life?
December 3, 2010 7:59 PM Subscribe
I need advice on my special snowflake academic future.
posted by serazin to Education (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
My askme history describes a series of academic mishaps which I can summarize thusly:
1) Dropped out of high school
2) Did a bunch of non academic stuff, much of which was health care related. Oh, and had a baby on my own (who is now school aged)
3) Went to community college in my early 30s, got prereqs for nursing, did great academically
4) Got into nursing school. Did OK despite it being really tough program that failed 3/4 of my class. Then got kicked out/failed for reasons I feel were unfair but are too boring to explain. Was told there was "no room" when I tried to re-take the class and am essentially out forever
5) Applied to PA school as a Plan B, apparently did not get an interview (I was supposed to hear by the end of November).
I'm mid 30s, sick of my job, totally burned out on nursing which I was going into primarily for practical (ie: financial) reasons, no bachelors degree, 90 units of community college mostly sciency stuff but with this blight on my record and a 3.4 GPA.
I don't even think I want to stay in health care. I kind of want to go back to school, but of course just decided that a day after UC and State schools had their application deadlines.
I love reading and writing (I'm a health writer now, but haven't been able to find any other writing or editing jobs possibly due to my lack of MFA or even BA). I'm obsessed with history and could imagine studying history, rhetoric, film, writing, or something else along those lines, though not sure what I'd want to do for work in the long term.
Is it smart to do a BA completion program? Do I wait another year and apply to transfer to a 4 year program that I'd start in Fall '12? Should I try to talk to an academic counselor of some sort? How do I find that person? What the hell should I do with my life?! Argg!
Thanks for helping me focus my very unclear thinking on this issue,