Albacore Tuna Steak Recipes

I just got some lovely looking albacore tuna steaks, and am wondering what to do with them? Can I sear my albacore like I would some Ahi? Or ought I think about it differently than other tunas?

Please fire away with your suggestions & recipes. There's nothing I'm allergic to; there's nothing I won't try.
posted by .kobayashi. to Food & Drink (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Seared tuna steaks are one of life's finer pleasures. I would look for a recipe for a marinade that has maybe some olive oil and some white wine and some light seasonings, and then sear away.
posted by Doohickie at 7:09 PM on April 6, 2005

P.S.... when do you want me there??

We dont get either of those types of tuna over her but from my searching it apears albacore is a lighter fleshed one and ahi is darker.
Ive eaten yellowfin(a lighter fleshed one) barbecued with a mayonnaise and soy marinade which is quite nice, it suits it pretty well I think.
A search on google comes up with a lot of more extravegant mayonnaise based recipes.

Im not a big fan of the tuna taste as much as other fish so maybe it was the fact that it was a bit overpowering that I liked :)
posted by phyle at 7:50 PM on April 6, 2005

oh wait, I think ahi tuna is yellowfin...
posted by phyle at 8:01 PM on April 6, 2005

It would be kind of a waste with a better grade of tuna, but I actually just wrote up a recipe for tuna fajitas.
posted by adamrice at 9:06 PM on April 6, 2005

seal it with very hot oil, some sesame seeds and soy sauce.
posted by signal at 9:16 PM on April 6, 2005

Check out what they said about it on Good Eats.
posted by pwb503 at 10:38 PM on April 6, 2005

I've had seared albacore before, it's great. They called it "Latin-Asian fusion" and it was slices of albacore, avocado slices, toasted pine nuts, jalapenos, cilantro, and a soy/chipotle oil dipping sauce.
posted by TungstenChef at 11:05 PM on April 6, 2005

I make a wasabi sauce for my seared tuna - something like this one. Sear the tuna in a hot pan, and spoon this on for serving. Serve with rice (sometimes I make cilantro or coconut rice for this dish), and a big green salad. Awesome dinner!
posted by fionab at 6:07 AM on April 7, 2005

I take mine broiled with a liberally and frequently applied orange juice/soy sauce/sesame oil/ginger marinade.
posted by de void at 6:59 AM on April 7, 2005 [1 favorite]

« Older I used to live in Montreal, an...   |  Am looking for a good photo of... Newer »