Overnight trip from tokyo

I will have a few days free in tokyo and am looking for an interesting overnight trip, I am not so interested in getting a tourist ticket punched.

An ideal trip would take place someplace pretty, old and within say two hours of tokyo.

A previous post casually mentioned Budhist temples where one can spend the night, an old temple close to Tokyo might fit the bill exactly,if anyone has any hints.
posted by shothotbot to Travel & Transportation around Tokyo, Japan (5 answers total)

I stayed at a temple near Kyoto, so I couldn't recommend anything near Tokyo. Google 'shukubo' (temple lodging) to find some. Here's one I just happened to find.

You should also try googling 'ryokan', which are traditional Japanese lodgings. You can find ryokan in almost any price range.
posted by driveler at 8:10 AM on March 31, 2005 [1 favorite]

Nikko might be interesting. It's a huge destination for Japanese tourists, but I don't think many foreigners make it there. It's old and has some important history: Tokugawa Ieyasu--the founder of the Tokugawa shogunate--is interred there in an impressive shrine (a UNESCO world heritage site, I think). It's a very important area religiously, with lots of temples and shrines around. And there are hot springs (or so I've read; I've not seen them personally).

It should be easy to find a ryokan there; I'm not so sure about shukubos.
posted by mr_roboto at 11:28 AM on March 31, 2005

I very much recommend staying at Fukuzumiro in Hakone-Yumoto (1.5 hrs from Tokyo by train). Make sure to get a room overlooking the river. I think I stayed a room called Sakura. It was the coolest old ryokan I've ever stayed in.

Chujokan in Gunma prefecture is on my list of places I need to go, although it's a bit further away from Tokyo.

If you want to blow Y40,000, you could stay at the famous Oan in Atami. It's probably worth it.
posted by dydecker at 11:35 AM on March 31, 2005 [1 favorite]

Sorry, not Oan, Horai Ryokan in Atami. I want to stay there but my girlfriend won't let me.
posted by dydecker at 11:50 AM on March 31, 2005 [1 favorite]

I don't know if your trip is still in the future, but you may want to consider Yamanashi prefecture, particularly the town of Katsunuma. It's a winery region, with some small chateau. It also has a temple where you can spend the night, and then practice meditation in the morning. I went there with my wife a few years ago - quite pleasant. Email me if you want specific details.
posted by birdsquared at 12:33 AM on April 16, 2005 [1 favorite]

« Older My favorite deodorant is Borot...   |  Does anybody have an easy way ... Newer »