New Motherboard

Help me find a new-ish motherboard that works with this new computer I got.

The old motherboard is fried but the RAM and Video card are good to go. I need the new motherboard to be compliant with DDR2 RAM, SATA hard drives and PIC-Express video cards. I've been on Price watch but everything is newer than what I need, I figured y'all would have some good recommendations.
posted by kittensofthenight to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

What is your processor? Do you know the socket type?
posted by biggity at 5:21 PM on October 31, 2010

Need more specifics on the vid card too. PCI express x1, x16, 2.0 x 16, 2.1 x 16?
posted by contessa at 6:35 PM on October 31, 2010

Either we need the processor type, or if this was a machine you bought from a store, the model number. If it just so happens to be a Gateway FX400, well I have one sitting in my closet.
posted by deezil at 6:35 PM on October 31, 2010

If the processor is fried then forget about the RAM. Modern processors use DDR3 and new RAM is very cheap. To save your DDR2 RAM you'd have to buy a new CPU and motherboard that are both several generations old and that would be a real waste of money just to save what's probably $40 or less in RAM. SATA and PCI-Express are pretty much standard on every motherboard so they're irrelevant.
posted by Rhomboid at 2:50 AM on November 1, 2010

Thanks guys. I think we got it covered.

What's up now, half life 2 at full specs!
posted by kittensofthenight at 8:14 PM on November 1, 2010

« Older What's a poor couple in Michig...   |  Best way to open and enjoy thi... Newer »