chicago - need keytar for costume
October 28, 2010 2:04 PM   Subscribe

i need a real/fake keytar/shoulder synth for a halloween costume party on saturday night. the cheapest one i can find is at guitar center for $1200. that's about $1150 over my budget. anyone have any ideas? already checked craiglist for chicagoland, which is where i am located.
posted by denaps to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (11 answers total)

maybe a melodica? use the mouthpiece to hold a strap, maybe?
posted by jangie at 2:09 PM on October 28, 2010

You could just check craigslist for a cheap little Casio or Yamaha keyboard, and then attach a strap and fake keytar-neck yourself (say, black cardboard).
posted by COBRA! at 2:09 PM on October 28, 2010

Rock Band 3 keyboard

They had them at our neighborhood GameStop.
posted by hydropsyche at 2:11 PM on October 28, 2010

Could you get one of the Rock Band 3 keytar controllers?
posted by penguinliz at 2:11 PM on October 28, 2010

The Rock Band 3 keyboard has a short neck and a keytar strap.
posted by cabingirl at 2:11 PM on October 28, 2010

the kids i hung out with always attached a strap to a cheap casio.
posted by nadawi at 2:15 PM on October 28, 2010 [1 favorite]

how fake are you willing to go? You can cut a keytar shape out of cardboard or foam core board, paint the keys (and/or stick on cut-out key shapes for a more 3d effect), and attach a strap.
posted by kitkatcathy at 2:18 PM on October 28, 2010 [1 favorite]

Rock Band 3 keyboard

Seconded. Probably has pretty good resale value on CL or ebay; might even be able to return it the next day.
posted by supercres at 2:25 PM on October 28, 2010

the rock band keytar looks good! i think i might just get and try to return in a few days. thanks for the input.
posted by denaps at 2:45 PM on October 28, 2010

Try thrift stores as well. They often have keytars and the like in the toys section, at least in my experience.
posted by emilyd22222 at 3:30 PM on October 28, 2010

Get a $7 keyboard from Big Lots or the dollar store, affix some crap as a handle and add a strap.
posted by dirtdirt at 8:05 AM on October 29, 2010

« Older Where can I buy quark in NYC?   |   How can I play a short movie file as a continuous... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.