How do I get rid of this pesky corn?

How do I get rid of this pesky corn?

Over the last few months I've had a corn pop up on my left pinky toe (not sure where it came from as I don't wear heels, or tight/pointy shoes).
It's gotten to the point now where even if I graze that foot along something (like a road curb when crossing the road) it sends horrible waves of pain through my foot, so I just want it gone. I've tried the soaking my foot and rubbing it with a pumice stone, but the 'core' of the corn is still hard so it hurts, and I can never really rub it 'away'.

I'm so sick of going through countless band-aids each week just to make this darn thing comfortable, and before I go and spend money on a doctor or pharmacy treatments I was just wondering if anyone had some home treatments or advice on how they got rid of corns?

Thanks in advance!
posted by sunshine arakhan to Health & Fitness (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Corn plasters. They are cheap, available from any pharmacy, and worked wonders for me. (I went through two packets, over about a two week period, and then it was gone.)
posted by lollusc at 4:30 PM on October 24, 2010

Yes, the Dr. Scholl's plasters really work.
posted by orange swan at 4:39 PM on October 24, 2010

I used to get these, it is from your foot sweating and your toes rubbing together. IANAD or giving medical advice, this is what worked for me.

Sterilize a needle and dig out the core. This will be painful, but not as painful as bumping the corn. The core will be about a quarter size of a green pea. How can something so small hurt so much! There will be no blood, all you are picking out is dead skin. The relief is instantaneous.
posted by JujuB at 5:14 PM on October 24, 2010

I advocate the plaster idea - worked for a tiny corn I had on the side of my little toe.

I would be careful using a sterilized needle to dig out the core. While it might work, you run the risk of an infection.
posted by Everydayville at 5:21 PM on October 24, 2010

Many years ago I had corns. I dug out the core with cuticle nippers. Didn't get an infection and the corns went away. I had three, one on each little toe and one in-between toes. You do run the risk of an infection though, but it never stopped me. Corns are darn annoying things.
posted by fifilaru at 8:40 PM on October 24, 2010

« Older After going to a job interview...   |  Costumefilter: Costume ideas f... Newer »