Social classes/activities in DC
October 23, 2010 9:33 PM Subscribe
DCFilter: Looking for classes or group activities with an emphasis on socializing
posted by photo guy to Grab Bag (7 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
By "emphasis on interaction" I mean something that will give me ample opportunities to socialize with other people present, preferably in some kind of structured environment. I'm new to DC and meeting new people has been a bit of a challenge - I've had good luck with Meetup and CouchSurfing in the past, but since they don't seem to be doing me much good here in DC I'm trying to get a little more creative.
Here's a few ideas I've had:
* Salsa or dance classes = Might be fun, obviously good socialization opportunities. However, I have no idea where I could take group classes on the cheap.
* Drink n Draw = I did this for a while, and had a good time with it. Is there anything similar in DC?
* Sketching classes = I have an art-heavy background and would love to take a figure-sketching group class, but I have no idea where something like that might be offered.
* Photo group = I absolutely love photography (just see my username!), but it's kind of a solo hobby by nature. I did make a few friends through a Meetup photography group in my last town, but the Meetup photo group in DC seems to be rather poorly run.
* Book Club = These seem popular in DC, but I don't know how people find out about them. I've never done one, but would be willing to try it out.
Also open to other ideas - only ask that they are Metro-accessible and not too expensive.