Help me remember a story!

It's a science fiction short story, from a collection. The main character finds a weird piece of technology in a store or something and works out that it's a video recording from the future. They watch it and it's a police advisory warning of 'Smoots' who can travel in time. The narrator gets a little freaked but puts a notice in a newspaper seeking 'smoots.. no spoofs'. The tale ends on a Lovecraftian note with a figure in a long coat outside the door. There's a character in the story called 'High Space Dick Hagger' which is what I remembered (because come on, it's awesome). I vaguely think it might be Sheckley... but it's not quite witty enough. Help me metafilter!
posted by Sebmojo to Media & Arts (2 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Looks like it's from this Brian Aldiss Omnibus.
posted by iconomy at 9:25 PM on October 20, 2010

Bingo! Thanks heaps.
posted by Sebmojo at 11:14 PM on October 20, 2010

« Older Good Evening! I'm looking for ...   |  Heart arrhythmia and adderall.... Newer »