Pug vs. City of Chicago
March 27, 2005 8:03 AM Subscribe
My dog nearly died this weekend after my vet discovered he was bleeding internally. It turns out the culprit was rat poison. I live in an urban area (Chicago), where the alleys are heavily baited. How would I go about lodging a complaint to the city or is there any other recourse I can take?
posted by zombiebunny to Law & Government (24 answers total)
Since my pug is young and healthy, I initially thought it was a form of doggie flu. He was fine when I left for work on Wednesday morning, but after I got home on Wednesday night, he had all the energy of a stuffed animal. I got the first vet appointment available, nearly a full day and a half after I called. After hours of x-rays, my vet pulled a vial of fluid from his chest, which turned out to be quite a large quantity of blood which would not clot, a symptom of rat poisoning. It turns out he was a mere few hours of dying. He was given a large dose of the anti-dote, Vitamin K, rushed to the emergency clinic where he underwent a plasma and blood transfusion. 2 days later and $2,000 dollars spent on care (I shouldn't even complain about the cost, since my dog is priceless to me, except for the fact that my entire bank account is completely drained...), he's home and despite some residual shortness of breath, almost the same vivacious little dog I know and love.
Despite my joy that my wonderful vet caught it in time, I'm pissed as hell at the city of Chicago. I realize rats are a problem, but my vet has told me that there are indeed rat poisons availabe that are NOT toxic to other animals. I know for certain it was nothing in my home, as my roommate's been here for 9 years and has never in that time even considered purchasing rat poison. The emergency vet said that with his level of toxicity, he would have needed to down an entire box of D-Con, so she surmises it was the hardcore poison for the "super rats" in Chicago. I very much want to lodge a complaint against the city, but am not sure how to go about doing this. Even while I was picking him up from the vet yesterday, another case was faxed in regarding another dog suffering from rat poisoning. And he'd seen 2 other cases the week before, with fatal results in both cases.
Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part, but if this is fairly common and more people complained, the city would consider using a poison less fatal to other animals. I'm just not even sure where to start. My alderman, perhaps?