Canadian Running

RUNNING FILTER CANADIAN STYLE: Gotta do a training run in Toronto.

I'll be in Toronto this coming weekend for a conference but I'm also more than halfway through marathon training and have to run a 13 miler. I'm staying downtown (Queen Street) and would like to run early on Saturday morning. My questions are:

1. Are you interested in showing me the town through a quick 13 mile run? (9:30"- 10"/mi pace)

or

2. Can you recommend a good route? I tried mapmyrun but I don't know Toronto so I don't know the shady or busy parts.

or

3. Is there a running club that runs on Saturday mornings that I could join for the day?

Thanks in advance!
posted by cachondeo45 to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total)

That's like 20 km. I suggest getting down to the lake and there's a paved trail that goes a long waaaay in each direction and is pedestrians only (well, plus bikes sometimes). From downtown basically go straight south to the lake and I'd suggest running west. Use google maps to figure out a turnaround or bring your garmin or whatever. But that's easy and it's a pleasant run.
posted by GuyZero at 2:26 PM on October 7, 2010

Oh, it's called the Martin Goodman Trail.
posted by GuyZero at 2:27 PM on October 7, 2010 [1 favorite]

Thank you SO much!
posted by cachondeo45 at 3:56 PM on October 7, 2010

If you're around Sunday most Toronto-area Running Room locations have a Sunday morning group run. Toronto Running Room locations.
posted by GuyZero at 4:27 PM on October 7, 2010

Also, Toronto doesn't really have parts that are shady when the sun comes up (ha! that's a little punny). But the route that GuyZero pointed out will surely have other runners on it as soon as the sun rises, you won't be isolated. Especially if you run west, you won't ever be far from a major road (Lakeshore Boulevard).
posted by dnesan at 7:33 PM on October 7, 2010

« Older What are some interesting ways...   |  Riding 100km: advice?... Newer »