Posting video from a smart phone to WordPress
October 6, 2010 10:18 AM Subscribe
Posting video from a smart phone to WordPress. What are the best ways to do this?
posted by kalessin to Computers & Internet (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I have a Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant (kernel: 2.1) non-rooted phone on T-Mobile. There's a built-in camera/camcorder app that I already use. The built-in Gallery app allows me to share video to a number of destinations including WordPress, but if I try to share directly to that destination, WordPress tells me it can't accept 3gp videos and suggests that I upgrade to VideoPress, which appears to cost money ($60/year).
At $5/month that is pretty cheap, I'll grant you, but I don't want to sign up until I know I'll use it enough to make it feel worth it.
My WordPress blog (v. 3.0.1) is self-hosted (on Dreamhost) and I can install any add-on I want to or need to.
An additional nice to have would be to be able to transcode the video with options (like just transcoding video and ditching the audio, or to different possible formats, etc.)
So far I've posted one video from my phone to my WordPress blog by:
1) Taking the video on the phone
2) "Sharing" the video to some cloud app (gmail, Dropbox, etc.)
3) At my computer, downloading the video from the cloud app to the local disk
4) Transcoding the video with VLC (open source) to MP4
5) Editing or creating a new post on the computer on my WordPress blog
6) Uploading the MP4 version to my blog
7) Publishing the post
Is there a quicker or more convenient way? Preferably free or nearly so?
As always, thanks in advance for any assistance you're able to provide.