Exercise is making me hot, but not in the good way.
September 23, 2010 4:16 PM Subscribe
Lately exercise is making my face very flushed and hot. This is unpleasant. Please hope me!
posted by pointystick to Health & Fitness (12 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I have recently, over the past 4-6 weeks, been experiencing facial flushing when I exercise. It is really unpleasant. My face turns very pink and I have the sensation of being very hot, as if I'm standing under bright direct sunlight on a hot day. It's affecting my workout; I feel like I have to stop before I'm fatigued or my muscles give out, because I want to claw my face off or jump into a pool of cold water.
Anyone have experience with this, especially making it better?
Possible relevant facts:
- I have been doing crossfit for 8 months, scaled for my fitness level which until this happened had been improving steadily. I scale my workouts and progress has been good so I don't think I am overdoing it. Prior to crossfit, did water aerobics, weight machines & elliptical with no flushing.
- I live in Atlanta. It's been hot, humid, and the air quality sucks. However, this didn't start when the hot weather started this spring.
- I am nearly 40 and on hormonal birth control. Recent bad experiences with Seasonique led me back to Kariva (around the time of onset).
- Do not have high blood pressure or any other health issues.
- This is just my face, I sweat an average amount but don't feel this hot or get red all over, just my face.
- I do not flush very badly at other times. I do get a bit pink when embarrassed or after red wine but this is much more so.
So - hormonal? Weather? Mystery Illness? And how do I cope? More water? Cool towels? Meds?
Please advise; as I have mentioned here before I made the lifestyle change from couch potato to exercising person and I don't want to stop.