Ideas requested for a computer desk lamp

Our computer desk needs a lamp and I need ideas.

We bought a computer desk (photo, measurements), but found we need a lamp to provide light for the work surface in front of the monitor. My searches found this; the comments indicate it gives off a great deal of light which would seem to be important given the lamp would be more than two feet from the work surface.

Any and all ideas are most appreciated!
posted by davcoo to Home & Garden (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

150 watts sounds appallingly bright to me. I would use a 150-watt bulb to light a fairly large room.

I have a regular old desk lamp with a 60-watt bulb.

Unless you're performing surgery at your desk, you don't really need that much light. And I find that a low or downward-pointing light that's too bright is very hard on the eyes.
posted by ErikaB at 8:32 PM on September 21, 2010

Picture Lights, adaptable to desk tasks.
posted by hortense at 9:27 PM on September 21, 2010

It looks like there is a bit of space behind the top front-facing trim piece. In addition to a regular lamp, you might be able to hide a strip of LEDs on the top. That may require a bit of drilling to look right, but it could be a nice alternative to one bright light if you weren't doing detail work of some kind.
posted by Burhanistan at 11:33 PM on September 21, 2010

(the product in that link is actually for computer cases, but was just for an example. There are tons of hits on Amazon for "led strip lighting".
posted by Burhanistan at 11:36 PM on September 21, 2010

Don't know if you're near an Ikea, but the Antifoni is a great lamp for a workspace.
posted by The Michael The at 4:32 AM on September 22, 2010

Design*Sponge has some ideas for you.
posted by killy willy at 11:11 AM on September 22, 2010

« Older Where can I find a "visua...   |  Where can I find detailed Blue... Newer »