Need to create and share roadtrip route

Best online map tool for showing a route via multiple points?

What I want seems very simple, but google, bing, yahoo, etc. have all failed me.

I want to map out a roadtrip route to show people where we went, so I need to enter point A, point B, and then drag the route to the roads we actually took. So far google can do this.

Then I'd like to color-code the route lines to show what we did each day and save it in stages.

Doesn't seem like it should be too difficult but the big names can't seem to handle this. Some keep recalculating or redrawing my route to the wrong roads. Ped/bike route mappers don't work because they ignore highways. Any help?
posted by biwa-shu to Computers & Internet (11 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Map My Run is meant for runners (obvs) but it may work for your needs.
posted by miss_kitty_fantastico at 12:59 PM on September 19, 2010

Whoops, missed the part about colour-coding and saving. Map My Run might not be right after all. Sorry.
posted by miss_kitty_fantastico at 1:00 PM on September 19, 2010

Try Wayfaring: Not sure if that covers everything you want, but it's not bad!
posted by kirstk at 1:36 PM on September 19, 2010

Wayfaring has some good options but doesn't seem to be able to be used for driving directions. Looks like it wants me to fly...
posted by biwa-shu at 1:42 PM on September 19, 2010

Fair enough. How about
posted by kirstk at 2:02 PM on September 19, 2010

(That's not going to exactly right either, I think.)
posted by kirstk at 2:04 PM on September 19, 2010

Within the exercise category, mapmyride works well for me and has lots of great features. The problem is that I can't get it to follow an interstate.
posted by biwa-shu at 2:16 PM on September 19, 2010

Google maps supports subsequent destinations. When I have needed the functionality you describe, I have made one destination for each day's stopping point, and then dragged the route appropriately in the middle.
posted by pmb at 3:27 PM on September 19, 2010

Google maps can't seem to combine driving directions with a my maps feature, so I can't share a route that I've done with other people. Am I missing some functionality?
posted by biwa-shu at 5:43 PM on September 19, 2010

You could try but it costs money.
posted by mecran01 at 6:25 PM on September 19, 2010

Have you tried Google Earth?
posted by empath at 7:25 PM on September 19, 2010

« Older Advice for going to art openin...   |  Calling All Current Middle Sch... Newer »