How to make my house not smell (so badly) of decomposing critter.
September 17, 2010 12:27 PM Subscribe
My house smells like decomposing critter. A critter died at a point in my chimney that it cannot be removed without removing the masonry and taking apart the chimney. (It died on the shelf above the damper.) The chimney dude recommended we just wait it out and said that with the average daily temp being 90+, it should be 'fast.' However, it's really damn disgusting and we're a week into a likely 2-3 week process. In the meantime, recommend any smells to help offset the stench?
posted by lostinsupermarket to Home & Garden (24 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
We know how the critter got into the chimney and have since taken steps to ensure that won't happen again. I’ve tried laying out bowls of ground coffee as that helped with doggie-stink/funk but that’s not helping. I’ve also heard that a humidifier might help to speed up the process.