No idea what I did, but on one of my Windows 7 installs (Bootcamp VM, 64bit) I can no longer pin items to the taskbar. Yes, I Google searched, and everything that comes up is similar to this: Fix Unable to Pin App to Taskbar and Start Menu (Missing Context Menu and Jump Lists) Error in Windows 7
. But that doesn't help me because:
- Shortcut icons still have the shortcut arrow.
- I can still pin items to the start menu, just not the taskbar.
- Sure enough, HKCR\lnkfile has a string value IsShortcut = "" (which is what I think it should be based on other machines that work).
- Also, HKCR\.lnk points to lnkfile like it should.
Even if I browse to the executable itself, I still can't pin it to the taskbar. Uggg... what did I break? Here's some of my taskbar settings in case it's relevant:
- Lock the taskbar (I've tried it unlocked though)
- Use small icons
- Location: bottom
- Buttons: Always combine, hide labels
- Notification area: show all icons
- Toolbars: none
Again, these are the same settings I'm using on other machines and it works fine there.
The annoyance level here is about 3 out of 10, which means I'm not going to be reinstalling Windows just to pin items to the taskbar. But I would love to know what secret setting is keeping me from doing this...