Is Rodda a good brand of paint?

My painter is recommending Rodda paint for our house exterior. I like that Rodda is a regional company here in Seattle. But I can't find any reviews on their quality. Nothing in Consumer Reports. Painter uses Rodda AC 911 flat and AC 909 satin. Anyone have an opinion? Is it good lasting paint?

If you are in Seattle, I'd welcome opinions on the painter I hired: Seattle Paint & Drywall -- for exterior prep and painting. Out of 7 bids, theirs was by far the lowest.
Normally I don't hire strictly on low price, but Seattle Paint has great reviews on Angie's List and Consumers Checkbook. Anyone have experience with them?
posted by valannc to Home & Garden (3 answers total)

I have had three different friends complete exterior projects with Rodda over about an eight year period (staggered over that period), and due to their terrific results, used it on a porch repainting project about four years ago and have been super happy.

All of us were impressed with color, coverage, and durability. Friends used pro painters, my husband and I painted our porch ourselves with equal levels of happiness.

I don't have experience with your painters (I was on the Olympic Peninsula).

I can certainly recommend the product--what really won me over beyond word on the street and friends' experiences is that it's a paint developed in the PNW with full understanding of the kinds of exterior stress buildings experience (nine months of cool, damp, and rainy followed by three months of sun). The worry in the NW is bubbling, peeling, lack of complete drying, clumping, and molding. I feel like Rodda meets those challenges in its product.
posted by rumposinc at 11:55 AM on September 13, 2010

I'm an architect (and former contractor) in Seattle. I don't usually spec the exact kind of paint a contractor should use, but Rodda has a decent reputation (not the best, and not the worst). I think you are fine there.

Regarding your painter selection and estimates, I would just say this; the quality of a paint job is almost always a direct reflection of the quality of the PREP work, not the brand of paint or the quality of the finish coats. You have one chance to do excellent prep. Once the paint is on, the quality of the paint is secondary to the quality of the surface it is painted on. This amounts to a strong word of caution as to your selection of a contractor based on estimates.

If it is a bid (agreed upon FIXED price), be sure they follow through on all the prep they have agreed to. Hassle them about this. If you are working with an estimate (a target price with increases for unforeseen or added work), you should be aware that this is the area that most low contractors skimp in order to generate lower initial estimate numbers to get the job. There is little mystery (and not too much relevant difference in paint cost once their discounts are figured in) so they forgo including much prep work in their estimate. Once work begins, they sometimes just breeze through this portion of the job in hopes you don't know any better, or they do it as an add on to the price once they have convinced you (rightly) of it's critical nature to the integrity of the final product. Make sure to be on the same page up front.

And remember that the prep is the real job, not the finish coats of paint.
posted by nickjadlowe at 12:35 PM on September 13, 2010 [1 favorite]

Thanks so much for your replies. I opted for the Rodda Paint. The house looks great. I was pleased with the prep work and neatness. Time will tell how good it really is.
posted by valannc at 7:15 PM on October 7, 2010

« Older The Directors Series is a neat...   |  What combines nicely with a ju... Newer »