Join 3,512 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

How to get out plastic smell in drapes?
September 12, 2010 4:51 PM   Subscribe

How do I remove a burnt plastic, chemical odor from blackout drapes?

A month and a half ago, I ordered these blackout drapes and according to the instructions, used a low iron to get out the wrinkles and hung.
They have a chemical odor like burnt plastic and the entire room smells funky.
Perhaps the iron was too hot and burnt the synthetic coating on the back (no visible burnt areas). I've tried Febreze but it didn't help and was hoping the smell would lessen in a few weeks, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

What else could I do to make the smell go away?
posted by amme to Home & Garden (4 answers total)

Is there a place you could hang them outdoors for a few days? Sunshine and wind dispel odors pretty well. (If it gets damp at night, bring the drapes inside. You don't need to add mildew to your problems.)
posted by Quietgal at 5:14 PM on September 12, 2010 [1 favorite]

Yeah, what quietgal said. Air them out outside in the sun. Flip them so both sides get some light.
posted by mhoye at 5:16 PM on September 12, 2010

Sometimes cleaning things removes their smelliness. Maybe take them to the dry cleaner?
posted by Sys Rq at 5:44 PM on September 12, 2010

perhaps hang some dryer sheets on them (with windows open)

and i saw this from the web:
You Will Need:

* White vinegar
* Baking soda
* Vacuum
* Laundry detergent

Steps to Remove the Burnt Smell:

1. For curtains and draperies, it is best to clean them either by washing them or having them professionally cleaned.
2. If the curtains are washable, simply place them in the washing machine and add a cup of vinegar to the cycle in addition to the laundry detergent.
3. Allow them to air dry until the odor is completely removed.
4. Repeat the washing process if necessary.
5. For rugs and carpeting, baking soda is the odor-absorber of choice.
6. Sprinkle the rug/carpet with the baking soda and allow it to set for a couple of hours up to a couple of days, depending on the smell.
7. Vacuum it away.
8. If the smell remains, reapply.

Additional Tips and Ideas

* If the smell is lingering the house after the cleaning methods above have taken place, try setting out some bowls of coffee grounds. They will absorb the odor and freshen the room within a couple of days.
* Burning candles or incense will not remove the smell, but it can mask it while you are working to remove it.
* Another way to clear the smell out of the air is to boil lemon juice and lemon peels.
posted by fozzie33 at 7:36 AM on September 13, 2010 [1 favorite]

« Older Please help my girlfriend iden...   |  What could be planned for a co... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.